To Drift or not to Drift...

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Falken;1454246 said:
ok guys ive been thinking of drifting for the pass few days with my supra... i have a 1jz single turbo r154 set up and upgrade intercooler and pipes and exhaust all down... i havent done anything to the suspension. my supra is 87 t top turbo shell. and well the feeling of going side ways is something else and i would like to go into it but i dunno... not sure of it yet.

Hey man I dunno about you but I wouldn't sit here contimplating whether or not to drift and listening to these clowns opinions. The car as is has a pretty damn good suspension my sugestion though is lower it thats it for now. But you got one up on me. Your car runs. SO Get your butt to a parking lot and practice. Doesn't matter what you have and no you don't need nothing expensive on your car to do it. Just remember the maintenence and basics. Watch Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya on You Tube and go to town. JUST DO IT!Nuff said.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
i remember you posting something about steering angle and tighter radius turns... steering spacers? also try left foot braking through the turn while still gasing and controling the angle. should help some. clutch kicking also helps kill the turbo lag a bit for slower turns. Also, as far as learning, Do like me, Wet weather drift. But start off slow and work your way up as far as speed. the wet weather makes it easier to break the tires loose. first thing you really want to do is learn when the car will oversteer. after you got that down to second nature you can easily move on up. Plus the wet weather helps reduce tire wear.

gofastgeorge;1454816 said:
Everyone should learn to drift in what ever car they own.
It helps teach car control, that may someday save your life.
In the old days it was called a controlled power slide,
and should be tought in high school driving classes.............

Just my 3 cents.
(inflation, since washington decided to print money they don't have, to help pay for schools that don't teach anything)

+1

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
MA70witBoost;1455097 said:
i remember you posting something about steering angle and tighter radius turns... steering spacers? also try left foot braking through the turn while still gasing and controling the angle. should help some. clutch kicking also helps kill the turbo lag a bit for slower turns. Also, as far as learning, Do like me, Wet weather drift. But start off slow and work your way up as far as speed. the wet weather makes it easier to break the tires loose. first thing you really want to do is learn when the car will oversteer. after you got that down to second nature you can easily move on up. Plus the wet weather helps reduce tire wear.

+1

Damn Skippy

WATCH DRIFT BIBLE YOU FOOLS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk

watch the rest on you tube but I suggest to get the hard copy for home like me.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
MA70witBoost;1455097 said:

+1

yea i learned in the wet but i got so used to doing it on dry surfaces that i cant do it in the wet anymore....its alot different. and if you do try it in the wet watch out for street/intersection lines of that sort, they get very slippery when there wet :)

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Boosted516;1455201 said:
lol i was getting my car sideways when it was stock

best to learn on an under powered car. if you learn in an over powered car it'll be difficult to drift an underpowered car. learned in an n/a SOHC 240SX. handling the supra now is easy... any car really. give it time, eat curbs (unless your on the track wich is preferable) and go through tires.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
anyone for playing video games? forza 3 just came out, yea yea, dont laugh...

seriously though, the game IS a simulation, hell now its even got a clutch feature if you buy the right wheel for it. i just mess around on there and got decent at it (most people cant even drive around in a normal race without assists, let alone try and drift) itll give you a decent feel for how to flick it out with, or without e-brake or even throttle control to help steer around tight corners without losing it. most newb videos i see online are just throttle happy kids that lose it and just keep spinning the wheels like theyre magically gonna recover or something, the game isnt like that, youll do the same thing...its not need for speed, trust me

as for real life practice, take it slow, litterally...steal a cone and practice drift donuts around it. its what im working on now, usually wait for a wet day like today so i dont waste my tires as bad, the power is good, but when its wet its so much easier to break it out. ive gotten decent at it so far, about to try figure 8's and some short 2nd gear sweepers. i probably wont be going to tracks anytime soon, untill i get a better daily driver anyways.

300zxpwns

Feb 1, 2009
texas
i think it can be done, but definately with some practice. I dont mean to steal your thread but i also have a targa and i'm curious, does anybody know the weight difference between the targa and hardtop?

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
yep tonight was a good night... i was at some other parking lot for bout 20 mins just working on gettin side wayz... i was gettin the hang of it but still need lots of work. i was checking out some youtube vids bout drifting and i started by doing 180s then work myself to doing 360... now that was fun. then started to use handbrake... i just dont like using it, its tough but ill skill up on it, but at times i think i dont need handbrake just tabben the brake and given enough gas gets me sidewayz on some turns... i was close of hittin one of the light pole ugh lolz but after 20 min my brother law heard some sirens so we just book it... cant get caught up with the law in cali lol

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
I can't remember exactly what part it was but i know that tein offers (I think) it's a coil over sstem for the S14 that comes with a sort of spacer that you can actual use on the steering for the MK3 allowing your max steering angle to be increased greatly. again i don't remembe which kit it was exactly, and it would be an expensive purchase simply for spacers, but if you can take this idea and fab some on your own, i'd say increasing the max steering angle for our MK3's would be a HUGE plus.

I used to drift in my old Rota's whe i was younger but then learned that grip racing was actually just as fn and went with it. I only played aound with drifting in my old MK3's a few times. It s deffinantly it's own beast and very heavy, but if you can find a good technique use the weight of te car against itself and being heavy it hopefully won't slide out from the road if you drift correctly. THis is what i've found atleast, but it still would not be my first choice for drifting.

I actually prefer the MR2's for drifting, because of the M setup allows for the initial drift to be had much easier, but had to be careful as all the weight in the ass end makes for very easy spin outs mid apex.

Zer0

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
It isn't easy but i drift every sunday out here its fun but be careful the weight of the car will jump out of line with one little screw up and its not easy to save.

Also Torque kills Tires!

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
I say drift, its fun and challenging. I would love to become a pro drifter in a mk3 Supra, you never see them in there you never even see the mk4, I know Supras are more challenging to drift, no question about that but it is very possible, I just don't see why they don't make it to the pro's

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I recommend trying it in an EMPTY parking lot on a rainy day. The ground is slick, so it's easier to get sideways. Once you can get sideways, then you start practicing the control part (counter-steer, throttle control, etc)

Doing it on slick pavement (or snow) will give you some of the practice you need without burning through your tires.

Just be aware that it's a tad different on the dry pavement. A little more difficult to break loose when it's dry.

My underpowered, 238K (at the time) n/a was able to get loose. But I tossed it between 60-70 mph, and maintained the slant-ways around 40-45 mph.

Call bs on the speeds if you like, but if you want verification, na-tsupraking was riding shotty

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
300zxpwns;1455732 said:
i think it can be done, but definately with some practice. I dont mean to steal your thread but i also have a targa and i'm curious, does anybody know the weight difference between the targa and hardtop?

I gotta targa I don't know the difference between the weight I just know its not that hard to drift in. I think the targa might weigh more but not sure.