Timing?

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Okay so about a year or so ago for my daily driver supra. I had a buddy (whom is more familiar with mustangs). Claim he set the timing above factory settings. He supposedly did this by adjusting the Dist. Cap? Hell if I know for certain. He claims the book says that factory it should be 12, he claims he set it to 13. He didn't explain it in depth to me only to say that it will increase performance.

My question here, is does adjusting the DC really set timing? and what is the real factory setting, and how do I set it back to those settings? also what is the Up/Down side to having it set higher or lower then what the factory calls for. I've noticed I'm only getting around 9 mpg, or at least it seems like it (my 88 does not feel like 9mpg).

Thanks for reading (crossing fingers for a fast response)

Zer0

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Stock timing is TeNDeGreeZ. It's set using a timing light on the crank pulley while turning the entire distributor. The engine must be hot and terminals E1 and T in the diag block must be jumpered when doing it. And if you're getting 9 mpg you have bigger problems than letting someone who doesn't have a clue touch your car....

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
jetjock;1308649 said:
Stock timing is TeNDeGreeZ. It's set using a timing light on the crank pulley while turning the entire distributor. The engine must be hot and terminals E1 and T in the diag block must be jumpered when doing it. And if you're getting 9 mpg you have bigger problems than letting someone who doesn't have a clue touch your car....

Nice pun, lawlz. So what could my problems be? The DD supra was just bought for around 700 a year ago and never really thought to much about the mpg it was getting until a lil while ago. There is a lot to fix on the DD, but where should i start looking on for the mpg problem.

And if the factory setting is 10 degrees, what does having it at 13 going to do to the car?

Thanks,
Zer0

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Advances it across the board. You might make a bit more power but nothing to write home about.

As for fuel economy the first thing to check is codes. The second would be fuel pressure. Third would be to see if the engine is in fuel control (O2 sensor cross counting). I would be amazed if it is. Could be lots of other things too, from a bad coolant sensor to increased rolling resistance. Also take AJ's advice...

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
jetjock;1308677 said:
Advances it across the board. You might make a bit more power but nothing to write home about.

As for fuel economy the first thing to check is codes. The second would be fuel pressure. Third would be to see if the engine is in fuel control (O2 sensor cross counting). I would be amazed if it is. Could be lots of other things too, from a bad coolant sensor to increased rolling resistance. Also take AJ's advice...

As of right now i know i need a new knock sensor or atleast to rewire it, but i've put all available funds into some other things right now... :(

I'll have to check the other stuff.

I just wish for once I could just call a supra expert and steal a few minutes of his time and figure out a few things. lol, would be a lot easier then waiting for a reply, LOL.

Zer0