timing problems??? wont start after rebuild....

dan0311

Nov 28, 2008
broken arrow
i just rebuilt my 89' 7mgte and i put it in, turn the key and it just wont kick over. it will turn over, but not start. it tries to, and even almost starts, but no bueno...i have redone the timing mechanically, and re-adjusted the CPS, gets REALLY close, but wont actually start. no aftermarket mods other than a BOV that has been re-cuirced. i have spark, fuel, and i set the mechanical timing to 0 degrees on the crank, and both camshaft tick marks straight up, and the cam gears are in the middle hole from the camshaft peg. i set the CPS with the notches lined up on the shaft, all have been set to the MK3 TSRM online at cyxgnus...i am exhausted with this and i need advice from someone who really knows these cars. please help!!

thanks,
Dan

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
have you tried pushing the accelerator when trying to start it up? I had a broken idle air speed valve that wasnt throwing codes and upon startup my car would just die but if i opened the throttle up a bit it would gasp for air then rev

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i had the same problem on my GE rebuild, the distributor shaft was one tooth to the right. took it off and fixed that issue and it fired right up. turns out it was the way i looked at the shaft when i lined the notches up, my line of sight was slightly off so it could go either way on the notch alignment

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
dan0311;1238145 said:
none that i know of.....good thinking though

A while ago I had thesame thing. Turning over but not starting.
I "wriggled" (don't know what it's called in english) the CPS wires a few times and then it started.
Strange thing was it should throw me a code 12 or something but it didn't.
So maybe your wiring is fried? At least check it. :)

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well im having the same problem on my 91, i just did a full rebuild, just like dan0311, but ive checked mine and no codes could it be as simple as the rotor on the CPS not alined with the timing marks for TDC?

dan0311

Nov 28, 2008
broken arrow
i have redone the mechanical timing a few times, and took out the CPS and realigned the notches and stuck it back in.....no codes, the black wire going into the CPS from the harness is loose in the connector, but i dont know how to fix that. could be my problem i dont know...where should the slot be for the CPS when i stick it in? hole in the middle of the CPS slot? or down? or up? any tricks will be much appreciated...thanks for all the help and i tried to answer all the questions, sorry if i missed one.

thanks,
CPL. Defendi
USMC

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
dan0311;1238710 said:
i have redone the mechanical timing a few times, and took out the CPS and realigned the notches and stuck it back in.....no codes, the black wire going into the CPS from the harness is loose in the connector, but i dont know how to fix that. could be my problem i dont know...where should the slot be for the CPS when i stick it in? hole in the middle of the CPS slot? or down? or up? any tricks will be much appreciated...thanks for all the help and i tried to answer all the questions, sorry if i missed one.

thanks,
CPL. Defendi
USMC

you can hardwire the cps in if you really don't have any other options. Or you could replace both the male and female parts of the plug with other ones that match.
All wiring has to be 100%. if a wire is loose at the cps, the car most probably won't start.

Aligning the cps is simple but errors can be avoided by removing the cap before inserting.
There is a hole in the small wheel that will match/align with the notch on the cps. When you align it and have the black plastic cap off, you should be able to see that the cps internals are also aligned. can't really explain it but when you see it you'll know what I mean.

When inserting the CPS do it gently and check to see if the the internals go a little out of alignment. That means your cps is installed correctly.

MKIII TURBO60-1

Dec 29, 2008
Ocala,Fl
23318563877.jpg
when the cps is installed it should look like this, does yours???

dan0311

Nov 28, 2008
broken arrow
i found the problem. the CPS wires were loose so i just hardwired them together and it fired. it started knocking because i flooded the hell outta it and it was probably firing on two or 3 cyclinders haha. its better now, so thanks guys, you saved my a$$!!