Timing problem 87 NA

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I've read through about 4 or 5 different threads dealing with timing but they have yet to really address the problem I'm having.

I just took my Supra out for it's first drive with a completely rebuilt engine and it was VERY sluggish. I have started the engine before and it ran great but I think the timing was only good enough for it to idle and throttle well. Whenever I pressed the gas pedal even a little, RPM's would drop Before the drive, the engine was unusually hard to start which was never a problem before.

I've gone through the timing 3 times. I have got it to idle well but I've turned the distributor as far as it will go. The timing light shows above 15 degrees (aprox. 20-ish). I've gone through the TSRM method twice and got nothing. I'm checking the timing belt in a couple of hours.

Any thoughts, suggestions???

Also, I checked the distributor, ignitor, wires, and plugs according to the TSRM and everything checks out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you jump te1 and e1 when setting the timing.

Also you might want to back the timing off to 10*.

When its set at 10. What problems are you having?

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Yeah, I did have the terminals jumped but I'm kinda curious as to when I should jump them (after I start and warmup the engine?). That's the thing, I have backed it towards 10* but the engine starts to idle extremely low and inconsistently so that I can't get an accurate reading on the marker with the timing light.

When I set the engine to TDC, the crankshaft pulley marker points to about 5*. Should I back it down to 0* before putting the distributor back in?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm really excited to almost have this thing drivable!

Edit: my jumper wire was pretty dang tiny, I might have not gotten a good connection. I'm gonna use a better wire next time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the piston is at tdc and the balancer is not replace it before something bad happens. This is popping up more and more now since they are so old. The rubber in between the 2 halves is old and cracked and is separating. replace it before it becomes 2 pieces.

Also check your codes.
Also check the isc.
also check the thrttle linkage and stop.

If you put the piston to tdc compression are the cam notches matching up with the backing plate?

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
ok, pulled off the timing belt cover and turned the engine until the notches lined up and the the balancer is at 0*. I'm about to pull the distributor. Do I make sure the rotor button is pointing at #1?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pull the no1 spark plug and stick a chop stick(or something similar) in there and turn the crank and verify that the piston is at tdc.

If its not then the timing belt is off and id still suggest a new balancer.

Ya put the rotor to the no1. iirc its the top right.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Is the balancer the actual crankshaft pulley? Cause if it's not, it's been replaced. I bought this engine new, kinda like a Jasper engine (I know, mistake. I found this site shortly after and realized I could have saved a LOT of money by dropping in a low mileage used one lol).

Ok, just checked. Engine is TDC perfectly and cam gear marks are aligned and pulley marker is at 0*.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sounds like your timing belt is off a tooth. Never set the crank to TDC at the dampener when setting the timing belt. Use the marks on the timing belt pulley and the back cover. TSRM doesn't show them, but they're there. Key should be pointed straight up, and you can verify with a wood dowel, as was explained earlier. Just can't trust the dampener to be true.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Ok, I used a chopstick to check for TDC and I am definitely TDC. The marks on the cam gears and rear cover match up perfectly. The crank pulley happens to be at 0* as well. What about the distributor? I'm in the middle of setting it as I type this.

I am also going to run through the entire vacuum system if it still doesn't wanna idle properly.

EDIT: with the cam gears dead on, the crank pulley is actually a tad to the left of 0* (about 2-3*)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug wire, kind of at 2:00 if you are looking at the top of the distributor head on.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
well, I gave up last night. I don't know what is going on. I've tried everything and it won't work. I made sure the fuel pump was working and I ran back through the entire vacuum system and everything is hooked up.

I do have one question though. I replace one VSV valve with a VSV valve but it looked a little different. Would putting it on the wrong way cause this shit to happen?