timing issues and questions

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
If the cam position sensor is off by 1 tooth, how much will the timing be off?
Will the car still run?
I had the engine rebuilt and tryied to time the engine but I could only get 5 degrees btdc before I ran out of adjustability. BTW I have 89 turbo.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
teebone;1025524 said:
If the cam position sensor is off by 1 tooth, how much will the timing be off?
Will the car still run?
I had the engine rebuilt and tryied to time the engine but I could only get 5 degrees btdc before I ran out of adjustability. BTW I have 89 turbo.

It will run pretty poorly. I would make sure it timing is all set correctly.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It should look like this:

Make sure the crank dampner is pointing at "zero" and both cam gears are aligned to the top index marks on the back plate.

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
rumptis;1025584 said:
Sounds like you are a tooth off like you thought. Moving it a tooth should get you where you need to be.

I dont get it! I moved one tooth and now the timing is over 20 btdc.
Anyone know why I can only get 5 btdc on what I believe is the correct tooth on the cam sensor?

On a side note when I jumped e1 to t1 in the diag. port the computer had a code 24 but I think the code is related to my MAFT Pro

Last edited:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Going to revive this thread from the dead because I'm having the same problem!

Looks like it's still unresolved :(

I cannot get my timing adjusted to 10* BTDC, I'm also running Maft Pro (without timing control or monitor) and when the car is jumpered and warm, I max out the adjustment in either direction and either I can't get it high enough, or I move it back one tooth, and I can't get the timing low enough!!

It's like my CPS needs to be right in between the two teeth!

Could this be because my head and block have been shaved too many times? Or could it be a CPS out of adjustment?

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
did any of you guys figure this out? I got close 12 degrees only and I cant retard it anymore. I pulled the cps 3 times with the picture above. It was sitting at 29 degrees before top dead center before.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I had to turn my CPS 180*

I had the crank at TDC, but i was on the wrong compression stroke

Make sure you're at TDC and both cam gears are pointing up!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jdub;1025590 said:
It should look like this:

Make sure the crank dampner is pointing at "zero" and both cam gears are aligned to the top index marks on the back plate.

:D