timing doesn't change when shorting pins at test port

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Just finished rebuild of 7M gte and runs fine, but when trying to set timing, shorting the two pins in the test port has no effect. Timing at idle shows 13 BTDC at max adjustment, so I pulled the CPS and moved one tooth but would then could not adjust enough to run at all. Moved back and runs well, but...13 degrees? This is a JDM engine bored 30 thou, metal head gasket, no EGR, correct ECU and harness. Ideas?

mstgeer

I'm having the same issue with my cps. In one position can only get to 0 deg when the adj slot maxs out on bolt. Pull cps and rotate one tooth and now min timing I can get is 12 deg?? Is there any way for the drive gear to not be installed on the cps indexed correctly?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is 3 spots but the dowel should be in the middle one. If it is off a tad tho it will be off a couple degrees. Retime the belt and them time the cps.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Dowel does not have to be in the middle hole. There are 3 holes in the cam, and three holes in the gear. All three line up, so whether the pin is in the center, left, right, or 3 pins in all three holes at the same time, it will not matter.