Timing belt

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
How hard is this job realistically, what problems am I going to run into? I just finished doing my heater core so it cant be worst than that? :icon_razz Really dont feel like doing it but its a good time to because the rad is empty and I need to replace the P/S belt anyway.

Ive had the front of the motor apart to do the water pump before and took off the top half of the timing cover..stock belt(as far as I can tell) with 240 000km's on it.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
it took me about an hour to do. it's not that hard, just be careful when tightening the timing belt, don't put too much tension on it or it will snap in the near future.

easiest way is to remove rad/fan/shroud then the timing covers. then you'll need an impact to break the crank pulley bolt loose. you will definately need a puller to remove the crank pulley without damaging it. then it's pretty much cake after you get in there. just set timing as per tsrm and you'll be fine.

good luck.

I saved about 400 dollars doing it myself.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
kabanimk3supra;1259562 said:
it took me about an hour to do. it's not that hard, just be careful when tightening the timing belt, don't put too much tension on it or it will snap in the near future.

easiest way is to remove rad/fan/shroud then the timing covers. then you'll need an impact to break the crank pulley bolt loose. you will definately need a puller to remove the crank pulley without damaging it. then it's pretty much cake after you get in there. just set timing as per tsrm and you'll be fine.

good luck.

I saved about 400 dollars doing it myself.

Yeah I do all of my work myself aswell. Crank pulleys are always fun, been there done that a few times with my truck haha.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Make sure you rotate the motor a couple of revolutions by hand after you install the new belt and check your marks again, a lot of guys forget that step, it could save you a lot of time.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
AJ'S 88NA;1259663 said:
Make sure you rotate the motor a couple of revolutions by hand after you install the new belt and check your marks again, a lot of guys forget that step, it could save you a lot of time.

Good tip, I wouldnt forget my self but ive heard of such things. Wish this was as easy as the timing belt on my 8V Volkswagen, take off alt belt, take over timing cover, loosen tentioner, install new belt..

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Island_Yota;1259674 said:
Good tip, I wouldnt forget my self but ive heard of such things. Wish this was as easy as the timing belt on my 8V Volkswagen, take off alt belt, take over timing cover, loosen tentioner, install new belt..
I just had to replace my timing belt.it has 149 thousand 400miles.i don't know the last time it was changed do to i've only had her for 2yrs.But i did'nt have to take the fan clutch off just had to disconnect the airconditioning compressor,but don't disconnect the hosese that are on the compressor.their are three bolts that hold the compressor on if i'm not mistaking.the hardest one is in the back that is on the driver side of the block,which is one of the bolts that hold the compressor brace in place.taking of the crank pulley is fun.i used a C clamp that i use to push in the piston when changing my brakes to brace it so i can loosen the crank nut.

Last edited:

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
what's the best kind of puller for such a job? all I have seen are the standard GM style crank pulley pullers that thread into the pulley with three threaded holes. IIRC, the 7m pull does not have such holes.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
A small block chevy puller works fine.There are 4 threaded holes in the inset of the 7M balancer,use two of them.IIRC you can use 2 of the bolts from the AC compressor bracket for the puller.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
hvyman;1260864 said:
i've taken 2 balencer's off by hand you might get lucky and not need a puller.

The crank bolt is extremely difficult to loosen. You won't believe how tight it is! That estimate of 1 hour to do a timing belt on a Mark III is not realistic. I suppose that guy must have already had the radiator out and was in a pro shop filled with power tools and tons of experience doing the timing belt on these cars. Figure on a day worth of work from beginning to end.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
jgcable;1260977 said:
The crank bolt is extremely difficult to loosen. You won't believe how tight it is! That estimate of 1 hour to do a timing belt on a Mark III is not realistic. I suppose that guy must have already had the radiator out and was in a pro shop filled with power tools and tons of experience doing the timing belt on these cars. Figure on a day worth of work from beginning to end.
I didn't pull my radiator to do mine, fan shroud yes. ! hour would be pushing it I agree.

HardtopTE72

Sep 10, 2008
Tampa. FL
While you are in there itd be a really good idea to replace both cams seals and the crank seal. A new tensioner is a good idea as well if you plan on keeping it for a while

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well I decided that im getting seriously tired of working on this car, Im going to leave it.. if it blows whatever, I actually dont even care anymore. Whats next? head gasket? I cant wait!

Seriously though, its a nice car but I cant keep working on it all the time, might be time to sell it :icon_mad:.

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
Dude... dont loose hope. Its true ive been frustrated many many times with the car. but its always worth it. trust me. suck it up, get in there, fix it and ull feel AWESOME.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
enawazh;1261404 said:
Dude... dont loose hope. Its true ive been frustrated many many times with the car. but its always worth it. trust me. suck it up, get in there, fix it and ull feel AWESOME.

Im just going to let it go, Used to love working on my cars but it seems like all I do now and its pretty depressing. Its a high k motor anyway, has blow by issues.. consumes too much oil, just seems like a lost cause.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
AJ'S 88NA;1261201 said:
I didn't pull my radiator to do mine, fan shroud yes. ! hour would be pushing it I agree.

once you've taken all the covers off, It's a breeze to do. It was probably more like 1.5 hours though. It didn't feel like more than that though.

assuming you don't have any hangups, it should not take more than 2.5 hours, even if you are a noob.

it's very easy to do, and yes i had air tools. but no lift.

revmatcher

Feb 13, 2009
Va
honest;y its not that bad to do I had a buddy who spent more time than I dont know what on his supra 3 motors and 2 trannies later he still has the car and loves it for the good and the bad. lol Hes gotten it down to a dull roar now with having to work on it all the time.

So do the timing belt at least so you can sell the car if you do decide to get out of it