timing adance or retard

mshaw067

I am wondering, I did my timing belt a while ago. I reset my timing to 0 on the crank pully notch, and the notches on the cams lined up with the notches on the timing cover, if i reset my timing to 10 or 12 degrees BTDC will my 7mge run better ( more power or should I go for ATDC? just wondering. ALso how will I realine the cams up to the proper timing. ????

Bigin1987

Jul 1, 2011
Midwest missouri
To line up the cams you need to pull the front timing belt cover off and on the back timeing belt cover (theres a front and back timing belt cover), you need to have the 2 little notches on the cam gears lined up with the 2 notches right above the cam gears on the back timing belt cover. you need to set the crank to 0 at TDC and you need to take out your distributor and line up the ring gear with the mark on the shaft of it and make sure your rotor button is on the number one cylinder on the distributor. it looks like alot and sounds hard but its pretty easy.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Are you asking about ignition timing from the CPS (distributor) or the cam/engine timing? Engine should be straight up, igntion should be 10. Changing the distributor also changes the injection timing.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pointing to no1. Then you use a timing light and looking at the crank pulley there are numbers where you set it to zero. Jump te1 and e1 and turn the dist to 10 and tighten the bolt and forget about it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There are what Toyota calls match marks that you need to line up with the groove. Do it, and you will be straight on. Keep in mind the curved tooth, it will move when you push it in. Account for it when you line up the match marks.