Time to go to a stand alone

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Randy87T;1805119 said:
Well it's done. The hard part is over. I just ordered the ms3 kit and ms3x daughter board with the map daddy 4 bar map sensor. Since I don't have anyone in the area to help if problems should arise I bought the jim stim so I can test as I go. Should receive the kit by Monday so next week will be build time. Thanks to this thread and special thanks to MPR for helping me. I will start an MS build thread and post as I go if anyone else should be interested.

Randy

Where in Iowa are you located? I am in the QC and have a little experience with the MS and a whole lot with supra wiring.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Well from the feed back and info I'm getting. I think the ms3 is going to be route to go. We liked it because it's cheap # 1 reason # 2 reason is because if you want to do a swap there is not that much you will have to change. Mainly re- tuning ( from what my tuner says) lol. Keep the info up it's great and I hope a lot of people start thinking of going this route with they're ecu's.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
MightyAl;1805128 said:
Where in Iowa are you located? I am in the QC and have a little experience with the MS and a whole lot with supra wiring.

I am straight south of you in Burlington. Would be an easy drive and good to meet someone in the area that has a supra let alone knows MS.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Randy87T;1805321 said:
I am straight south of you in Burlington. Would be an easy drive and good to meet someone in the area that has a supra let alone knows MS.

That's right. I forgot you posted that before in the Iowa thread. Sounds like you have a pretty slick set up. Hopefully I can get a chance to check it out this summer. I know a little about MS and a whole lot about supra wiring so that might make me dangerous.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
IBoughtASupra;1805336 said:
Before you choose Megasquirt, make sure your tuner knows it like the back of his hand.

Or.... just tune it yourself. ;) It's what we did with our MR2. Never saw a dyno, made lots of power and ran beautifully.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
There is a dyno up in MightyAl's area a couple hours away but will be tuning it myself initially. Can always go up there to do a whp check and final tweaking if necessary.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
MightyAl;1805440 said:
That's right. I forgot you posted that before in the Iowa thread. Sounds like you have a pretty slick set up. Hopefully I can get a chance to check it out this summer. I know a little about MS and a whole lot about supra wiring so that might make me dangerous.

Yep that would be me. You know wiring so may contact you for some help later. Got a nice day here so may go out boosting alittle.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Randy87T;1805480 said:
Yep that would be me. You know wiring so may contact you for some help later. Got a nice day here so may go out boosting alittle.

If you need an engine wiring harness to hack up I have a box of them. Most are just missing the body connectors. They have been sitting in my basement for the past 7 years and aren't doing me any good.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I already posted up how to wire up the stepper motor.

p1809702_1.jpg

p1809702_2.jpg

p1809702_3.jpg

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Right, and the link I posted keeps the unipolar design.

I appreciate the information you have supplied, I just wanted to point out there may be another option. When you switch from unipolar to bipolar, heat is increased in the windings. 1jz IAC's seem to be prone to failure, I am just trying to minimize my risks. Also, that's another part of my harness that can be left the way it is.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I understand that.
I would just like to say that mine works flawlessly, and does not generate any excessive heat. It is only energized while moving, which is minimal.

But I am using 7M stuff, not 1J

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
mkiiichip;1809689 said:
So, I was digging through some MS info, and stumbled upon this.
http://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/apps/n52/usdm-toy-supra-8384-5mge-mt.html

Now this is for an 5mge, but it has the same 6-wire stepper IAC as the 7m and 1/2jz. So it would seem that they are controllable in stock form.

Randy, did you get the unit yet? I am going to pick mine up this week.

Yep got it. Had it almost completed a week ago and some personal issues kept me out of town for a week. Back home now and should be done with the kit this weekend. Hopefully next week will start wiring it up.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Randy87T;1811321 said:
Yep got it. Had it almost completed a week ago and some personal issues kept me out of town for a week. Back home now and should be done with the kit this weekend. Hopefully next week will start wiring it up.

Awesome. Give me buzz if you need any help.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Thought I would have been done building it by now but I decided to add in more bip373's to fire the coils. Got them on order. It's gonna be a tight fit in that box with the ms3x card in there.