Time for clutch change. Parts list?

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
As the title states I'm getting ready to change the clutch out on my 87 Supra N/A with a W58. I'm getting clunks and shuddering from the original so I figured it's time. I want to make sure I have all the parts ready since, for this project, I will not be doing the work myself.

I assume the clutch kit will come with the clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch bearing, and alignment tool. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there anything else I will need to purchase to do the job right?

After doing some searching I am thinking of going with a SPEC stage 2 or stage 2+ kit. Most posts I saw seem to recommend one of these. Any reason I should choose one over the other? Looking for something with smooth engagement while also being able to support a possible future NA-T conversion.

Thanks in advance.

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
Spec has always left a bad taste in my mouth. I would call Driftmotion and they usually make the right recommendation that you will be happy with.

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Though you didn't mention what you didn't like about Spec; it did prompt me to read some more. It seemed there was a mix of good opinions vs. bad on Spec. This is a big expense for me so I'd like a bit more certainty in my choice. It seemed like there were quite a few people who supported ACT clutches, so I think that's the direction I will go. It's a toss up for me between their heavy duty version vs. their Xtream version (TS1-HDSS vs TS1-XTSS). I drive a lot in town and really don't want a pedal that's too stiff.

Furthermore, it seems like I will need to purchase new flywheel bolts as well as have the flywheel resurfaced. Is there anything else I'm missing that I should take care of while it's apart?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
As well as the pilot bearing.

Check all the release bearing components, washers, wave washers, spring clip, release fork, piviot mount, slave cylinder, ect....

BoostFreak15

Dec 14, 2016
Edmonton, AB
+1 on the rear main seal, you'd be stupid not to do it while you are down there.

As for clutch brand, I've had my ACT street/strip disc for about a year and I absolutely love it. I'm not pushing crazy power, probably somewhere just south of 300whp, so I don't know how much power it could hold, but it has a much better grab than the stocker while still being very easy to live with for driving around town.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
As I recall, the clutch for a R154 is rather different from the W58, mainly due to the throwout arm and bearing working differently. When you go Turbo, you'll probably change the transmission, so don't worry about that now.

I put in the ACT about 1.5 years ago and it's great, except when trying to ooze up a hill in traffic when it's warm. It gets a bit grippy when warm, so shudders easily. The ACT kit will have a pressure plate, driven plate, pilot bearing, and alignment tool. I think it has a new throwout bearing, too. I ended up using the old retainer clip.

Driftmotion will have just about everything you need.

Get new ARP flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, transmission input and output seals, rear main seal, fork support, and fork boot. Get a new shift lever gasket.

While you have the engine out, replace the motor mounts, as they are easy then. Driftmotion has them and new nuts. You may want to replace the transmission rear mount, too.

Then, there's that rear coolant cap (90339-16001), and at least one hose at the back of the engine that's easy to replace with the engine out.

You may want to open and clean the EGR cooler, too. Get a new gasket.

Definitely get the flywheel resurfaced properly. You can make a flywheel holder out of a flat bar of steel to hold it while you torque the bolts.

And, don't forget a piece of bread and bolt for removing the old pilot bearing.

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Thanks to everyone for all of their input. Unfortunately between hurricane Irma last month and some personal issues work has been very slow for me. Being commission based that means very little cash flow right now so the Supra upgrades are going to have to wait awhile. I will be sure to reference this thread though if/when things improve.