Tie rod spacers

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Hey all,

Just got my car rejected for loose tie rods, so this morning I replaced both inner and outers with new pieces. While I was at it, I installed the tie rod end spacers for a little more steering angle (used red loctite after cleaning the threads thoroughly). I also used the claw washers, but didn't see that in got_boosted's writeup (http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...steering-angle&p=954947&viewfull=1#post954947)

I can't seem to figure out how those (.25"?) spacers change the steering geometry to give me more steering angle though. Once they were installed, it seemed like I just screwed the outer tie rod onto the inner farther to accommodate for the extra inner tie rod length.

Does the flat part of the inner tie rod act as a steering stop, and this spacer allows a little more travel into the rack? And I am still supposed to use the claw washer, correct?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Clip;1629093 said:
Hey all,

Just got my car rejected for loose tie rods, so this morning I replaced both inner and outers with new pieces. While I was at it, I installed the tie rod end spacers for a little more steering angle (used red loctite after cleaning the threads thoroughly). I also used the claw washers, but didn't see that in got_boosted's writeup (http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...steering-angle&p=954947&viewfull=1#post954947)

I can't seem to figure out how those (.25"?) spacers change the steering geometry to give me more steering angle though. Once they were installed, it seemed like I just screwed the outer tie rod onto the inner farther to accommodate for the extra inner tie rod length.

Does the flat part of the inner tie rod act as a steering stop, and this spacer allows a little more travel into the rack? And I am still supposed to use the claw washer, correct?

read up: http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-do-t...ng-angle-suspension-gurus-needed-t429350.html

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Clip;1629093 said:
Hey all,

Bolded is correct, that's how they work. Didn't think they work with the claw washer, hence the use of thread locker. I also think you need to adjust the steering stops as well on the spindles.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
funny part is your toe will be off with them installed in less you get shorter tie rods

in less you want a drift setup were your toed out

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Looks like I'll be taking it all apart next weekend :) Nash, I was able to adjust the new tie rods in several more threads and it looked like my toe is pretty even with how it was before.

I was wondering about those steering stops too, thanks guys

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Do the spacers do other good too, besides more angle? (in that link they talked about it being good for lowered cars? Didn't read the long text cause that's too hard to understand :D)
Or anything bad?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Clip;1629212 said:
Looks like I'll be taking it all apart next weekend :) Nash, I was able to adjust the new tie rods in several more threads and it looked like my toe is pretty even with how it was before.

I was wondering about those steering stops too, thanks guys

as i said it still be toed out

i have ebock springs and well i had ot get new tie rods end from some yoda can't remmber tell i was to get my toe back form drift spc