Throwing on a Driftmotion CT2657trim - Headgasket First??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
IndigoMKII;2048930 said:
Honestly, if you planned on modding the car, I would've done the 12v mod much earlier.
Holy shiet...

Well, I'm going to try and do it today. Just ran to Advance Auto and got some wiring to practice soldering. I've never solder before and will need to wire up the fuel pump (also my oil Innovate MTX pressure gauge).

Any pointers/tips on the 12volt fuel mod??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Alright, so I've come to a conclusion (possibly) that one of my injectors may not be firing correctly; as I can hear a miss-fire at idle. I took it to a shop; they tested and confirmed my fuel pressure is good as well as smoke tested the intake system (vacuum leaks). Yet....I'm still running lean. Thus, I'm about to place an order for new 550cc injectors. Here are the two options; let me know which one you guys like:

Option #1: 550cc Modified Bosch 11mm, Low Impedance Injectors With Clips (from Driftmotion)
http://www.driftmotion.com/550cc-Bosch-Low-Imp-11mm-p/dm2873.htm

Option #2: RC Engineering 550cc Top Feed Injector Set for 1986-92 Supra Turbo (from MVP Motorsports)
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=333&SearchYN=N

I'm leaning toward option #1 (cheaper); however, I've read multiple threads over the years on Bpu 7Ms and RC Engineering 550cc Injectors seem to be a common choice and thus, the one I'd prefer to go with but....DAMN $$$ + clips!

EDIT: Just found these RC Engineering 550cc Injectors on Ebay for around $530; comes with clips too. What do you think....looks legit or not??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Fuel-Inj...992-/390205970426?hash=item5ada1697fa&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Update: I ordered RC Engineering 550cc Injectors last week, got them on Saturday, installed them and....I'm running as expected, finally, RICH!! I'm definitely making serious power however, my turbocharger blew its oil seals so....now I have to send it back out to DM and have it rebuilt. I spoke with Aaron today and he said I'm covered under warranty (still within 6 month period) so he said no charge at all for me, I just need to pay shipping. He said he'll have his guys check out my turbo and see what went wrong (lack of oil, debris after HG job, etc). But either way, Aaron is helping me out big time.

Driftmotion all the way!

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Update #2: I know this thread has gone dead for a while now but I just thought I'd let you guys know that I got my ct2657trim back from DM this past Wednesday. I sent it in two Mondays ago where it arrived that very next Wednesday. And a week later, they sent back a fully rebuilt ct2657trim turbo; I was covered under the 6 month warranty thus, all I did was pay for shipping once to get it to them in CA (they paid shipping sending it back to me). Driftmotion is the BEST! I spoke with Aaron and he said his turbo-guys said there was signs of debris that caused the failure of my turbo. Also, lack of oil flow; probably due to the seals letting go allowing oil to slip/pass through and into the turbine therefore burning off massive amounts of oil.

Conclusion: My guess (due to the debris) is when I went to heil coil my exhaust side studs on the head, I drilled into the head without covering up the cams/valvetrain area (like a dummy); as a result, metal shavings (from the drilling) got inside the valvetrain area. Believe me, once I realized I forgot to cover up the head (maybe after already drilling for one or two studs), I stopped and cleaned off the metal shavings as best as I could. However, I still saw flakes of metal laying around here/there in the head every time I was working in or around it. However, I simply couldn't have gotten every-single-piece of metal flakes. Thats what I'm concluding as to what caused my turbo to fail so quickly.

In any case, I worked through the night, installed my rebuilt ct2657trim, filled up on Castrol Synthetic 5W40 oil, filled up on coolant/water and took it for a test spin at 4am Thursday morning. I set the boost to 15psi and holy shiet....it pulls damn good! I had to stop three times because I kept blowing IC piping/hoses off! However, seeing as I don't have anything to compare it with, I'm wondering how much WHP I'm making.

Question: How much WHP has your Supra made with lex/550s and 57trim set to 15psi (no piggyback tune); should be at least 300whp, right?? By the way, I'm running damn rich....as expected w/ lex/550s therefore, I have some room (with a Apexi SAFC NEO which I recently got but haven't installed) to make some more power.

Last thing now....my damn Walbro 255lph (along w/ the 12v mod)....yea, I've yet to install it. But I learned how to wire/solder and....I feel confident enough to pull this installation off my self now anyway.

Last edited:

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
SideWinderGX;2052284 said:
Around 300 hp is a good estimate, depends how worn the motor is. There's quite a few dyno sheets floating around of stock motors with the lexus/550 combo and 57 trims.
I saw a video on YouTube where a dude made 340whp with the Lexus/550 and a 57trim on 16psi; however, his 7M was fully rebuilt. I guess I shouldn't be comparing my 27yr old 7M to those numbers. Lol

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVdoc9cz7E

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
haha no but there's nothing wrong with enjoying your 7M here and there :D you can always go get it dyno tuned with the safc and give us dyno sheets.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
So I ran the 1/8mile track two days ago and....my car is damn slow. I'm going to get my car dyno'd next week....I need to know how much power I'm making; honestly, for my setup/mods, I feel I should be faster than this.

First Run: Went decent, spun a bit, but okay
IMG_3101.jpg

Second Run: MISS SECOND GEAR
IMG_3102.jpg

Third Run: Spun tires like crazy in first gear
IMG_3103.jpg

Fourth Run: Best time to date for me and my Supra. I decided to race someone this time, a Hyundai Genesis Coupe; as you can see, guy never had a chance (I'm in the left lane)
IMG_3104.jpg

So with my best time being 9.28 @ 82.56mph on a 1/8mile track, I calculated what my 1/4mile would be using http://www.wallaceracing.com/8th-quarter.php ....a damn 14.50 @ 102.37mph....sigh, hey what??....what is this??! Shouldn't I be in the 13s with my setup/mods?? But okay....its a calculated/estimated conversion from an actual 1/8mile track time.

Look....either way, I should be faster than this; yes, my 7M is an original stock engine with 120+k miles but com'on. My afrs are all over the place, sometimes at 10.5 then I'd shift gears and it jumps to 11.8. There are times when I'd hit it in second gear, look at my afrs and see 12.0....those are the strongest pulls; feels something like it should be, 300whp +/- 25whp. Maybe (cause I haven't done to 12v fuel pump mod yet) it would pull stronger with afrs of 12.0 cause I start WOT below 3k rpms (maybe 2500); as a result the stock fuel pump has not seen its 12volts yet?? So less fuel, a bit more lean thus, a bit more power?? I don't know....all I know is my goal this summer is 400Hp @ the crank (~350whp) and....it feels like I have a long way to go.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
SideWinderGX;2052284 said:
Around 300 hp is a good estimate, depends how worn the motor is. There's quite a few dyno sheets floating around of stock motors with the lexus/550 combo and 57 trims.
And Sidewinder.....your Supra dyno'd at 363whp on 19psi with a 57trim at the 2012 Undercover Performance Charity Supra meet; I was there and have the video to prove it, remember?? Lol And yet your 7M had well over 150+miles on it. AND....the transmission is an Auto, so those number with my R154 should be around 375whp.

That was back when I first met you and didn't even have a Supra....and years later, I finally get my own Supra; and little by little, I now have the same mods as you did. However, you went the route of the HKS VPC, GCC and fuel cut defender....as for me, I need fuel cut (Lex/550 combo) in case I'm a dumbass, run lean and blow up. Lol

I should be making more power man....sigh....help me. Lol

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Take your time, I think you're a going at it a little bit too fast. Install your fuel pump before going to the dyno and make sure your car is timed correctly. I wouldn't go to the dyno without getting that fuel pump + 12 volts mod. I've never ran my car on the track so I can't comment on your numbers.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
akito;2052824 said:
Take your time, I think you're a going at it a little bit too fast. Install your fuel pump before going to the dyno and make sure your car is timed correctly. I wouldn't go to the dyno without getting that fuel pump + 12 volts mod. I've never ran my car on the track so I can't comment on your numbers.
Ohh man, I'm already scheduled for a dyno run today at 1:30pm in NJ (currently in NYC visiting Family). Honestly, should I really cancel this dyno appointment today till after the fuel pump is installed?? Its just a quick dyno pull to see what neighborhood Hp I'm in....and honestly, if I see anything less than 275whp....sigh....I really don't wanna think about it.

But should I cancel this dyno appointment then??

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
755hp, your thread is awesome. keep up the great work. as someone else mentioned before, you and your mind set are the kind of people who deserve these 20 year old cars. im subscribing.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
super.secret.supra.club;2052921 said:
755hp, your thread is awesome. keep up the great work. as someone else mentioned before, you and your mind set are the kind of people who deserve these 20 year old cars. im subscribing.
Hey man, thanks a lot. I guess I'll keep this thread going until I hit my Hp goal of 400+Hp @ crank (~350whp); trying to get there by this summer.

Last edited:

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
akito;2052824 said:
Alright, so I canceled my dyno appointment with E Shift Performance in NJ yesterday. I'm going to at least get the 255lph Walbro FP installed as well as the 12v mod done before getting on the dyno.

Thing is, I'll have to find a shop back home in WNY now instead of E Shift Performance in NJ. I want SAE numbers showing rpms, boost and afr.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Sounds good, wouldn't you want to find out your numbers now rather than dynoed for XXX number and wonder what it would be at with the 255 and 12vs mods? Unless you want to help SM members and provide before and after numbers with upgraded fuel pumps :D

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
its good to hear your headgasket repair is holding up! your goal of 350whp is very realistic with the mods you have.

what you need to do to get there is shim your wastegate actuator with two washer. it will help keep boost from fading then use a boost controller to increase from there.

run the fuel pump on 12v it simplifies things and will make tuning more consistent.

use your afpr to get a/f as close to 11.5 as possible. then later use the afc to fine tune sections of rpm that aren't at 11.5 once you have it hooked up. i like to make as little adjustments on the afc as possible.

boost leaks boost leaks boost leaks. make sure you don't have any cause they will make a other wise perfect setup pull like crap.

and when drag racing the first 60ft are really important. your time would drop drastically with just a better launch. and the drag calculators dont work well for supras cause we gain a lot between the 1/8 and 1/4 mile cause the top end power. i would run 13.7 at like 102 when all i had was an intake, exhaust, stock turbo at 14psi, and afpr leaning a/f to 11.5-12. id think you could run a low 13 maybe high 12 on drag radials launching hard once you get it pulling like it should on 16-18psi :biglaugh:

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
FINALLY....the 255lph Walbro Fuel Pump is install!! But man....I sure did cause my own HEADACHES in figuring out the wiring.

I started this past Friday purchasing 10, 12 and 14 gauge wiring along with a 5pin relay (in which I think one could just use a 4pin but anyway...) and some electrical connectors. Much to my surprise, I was able to remove the fuel tank with minimal issues. Except for not being able to get the 17mm nuts off for the fuel tank straps; as a result I just removed the four 14mm bolts opposite to the 17mm nuts on the fuel tank straps to the chassis. Even the seven screws holding the fuel hanger in place all came off with no issues (no rust, shearing, stripped, etc). I also took the time to sand down the hardlines coming from the hanger and paint them black with high temp engine paint.

My fuel tank after dropping it from the car:

Capture 122.PNG

Capture 123.PNG

Old fuel pump out of the tank on the hanger:

Capture 125.PNG

Old fuel pump:

Capture 127.PNG

Capture 128.PNG

New Walbro 255lph fuel pump:

Capture 129.PNG

Walbro 255lph FP installed on the FP hanger, wired up and ready to be place back in the tank:

Capture 132.PNG

Now comes the part where I did a damn 360deg head spin trying to figure out what hell's going on in my life....all because I thought I was suppose to "hear" the fuel pump come on when I turn the ignition in the "ON" position (engine not yet cranked/started). Clearly, I'm a class-A bum for not knowing that I should have cranked/turned on the engine and only "then" will ignition power from the stock harness get sent to the 5pin relay which then triggers the induction coil between pins 85 and 86. As a result, this would signal the relay to flip the switch from pin 87A to just 87 which then links it to 30 where power comes straight from the battery (w/ a 20amp fuse of course).

Let me tell you....the savagery I went through (between the jumper wire being placed in the wrong terminals, turning the key to the "ON" position and thinking I'm suppose to hear the FP turn on....as forum-guys tell you the 255 FP is "loud", riding my bike to Walmart at 1am in the morning to buy a more electrical connectors and fuses, etc)....sigh....it was a frustration like never before. I had all my install/wiring of the FP done by 6pm Saturday until I started thinking there was a problem because my stock harness was not sending ignition power to the relay/FP once I turn the key to the "ON" position. It got to the point where I called SideWinderGX Sunday and talked on the phone for damn near an hour trying to figure out this damn shit. He then suggested I just cut the yellow wire by the stock FP resistor/relay, which I did. He said its no problem to run the aftermarket relay and bypass the stock unit however, he said I can just cut the yellow wire which then would no longer send a signal to trigger the stock relay for 9v therefore, you'd run straight 12volts all the time; as a result, just run off the stock wiring without the re-wiring/5pin relay shit. And so....I did that. But with me thinking I had a problem where my stock ignition wire going to the FP was not sending power once I on the ignition (no start), I still didn't get the car to start.

Sigh

AND THEN....something hit me (probably frustration and not giving a f**k anymore) and said, just trying cranking/starting the car for a few seconds and see what happens....and the friggin car starts right up. Then I said to myself, "well holy shiet, what the f**k is this....where was the problem....shiet....there was no problem....you have to crank it, THEN the FP gets ignition power and the pump turns on". Makes sense seeing as theres no reason for the FP to get power/be on when the engine is not running or trying to start, right??

In any case, I blew my nuts over this shiet from 6pm till 4am Saturday into Sunday morning....woke up around 12noon Sunday, thought to myself, I am a disgrace to the Supra community and got right back into struggling on this problem (for no reason) till I finally figured it out around 6pm Sunday. Now you see why I was so hesitant to get into this FP thing??....its new to me and I've never dealt with this before; plus, shit is old/rusty and things might break in the process and I can't wire shit up to save my left nut. Low and behold, the install went smooth with no problems and the wiring went smooth as well (I just needed to "start" the car....there was no problem from the very beginning) and now my 255lph Walbro FP is INSTALLED!

Big thanks to SideWinderGX for guiding me through this....and sorry for calling/bothering him up twice to whine about my wiring BS that I caused....in my own head. Lol

**By the way, I'm running DAMN rich (nothing but 10afrs) and am not getting the power I was seeing before this 255 FP install. Before I would sometimes see afrs in the 11s when doing pulls with the stock FP. This tells me at 15psi w/ a 57trim, my stock FP was maxed out....so much such that I would occasionally see the afrs in the 11s....this FP upgrade was much needed. So the next thing I will be installing is my Apexi SAFC NEO to lean myself out to around 11 to 11.5 afrs; then I'll hit the dyno, 1/4mile track and hopefully the Toronto Supra Meet coming up this August.**

Last edited: