throttle body heater (coolant hose)

momodragon

Jun 19, 2010
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone my name is Momo and i own a 88 supra for 3 years now.
i got 7mgte turbo that i changed for a JDM because my engine trou a rod in my face after headgasket change didnt do that well i was 17 at the time... all is well now with my stock JDM i have put custom intercooler and hardpipe aluminum 2.5 inch and intake running 9psi pull great thats it for my introduction now for my question

i searched alot here and on other forums but i could not find information on that

i noticed that there is a coolant hose that goes trough the throttle body can we bypass this hose in order to cool the intake charge and not heat it ?

what do you guys think and or suggest ?

thanks and hope to make good friends here
btw im a bodyman so if you have any Q? regarding body damage/repair chassis upgrade anything in this categorie i can help you!!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
A search on this forum would yeild information about this. But...

The coolant passing through the throttle body is for colder (very cold) climates and weather conditions. It can be bypassed with no major problems, just be aware it is there for a purpose.

momodragon

Jun 19, 2010
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Is there a sort of thermostat for this thing? can we remove it to cool the intake charge ? Does it keep heating after the car is worm ? How does it heat the car when the car is cold lol ?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You are not going to have any power gains from bypassing the throttle body/isc coolant lines; however, it will make taking the throttle body/isc off a lot less painful.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The difference in air temp would be extremely minimal if even measurable, especially considering that you are running a boosted engine. There are other things that are going to make so much more of a difference in air temp than the throttle body coolant warming the throttle body will. I'm not sure what is different on the JDM vs US throttle bodies, but I thought the linkages were different. Whichever one matches your engine is what you should use, I don't believe there are any advantages of one over the other.