Throttle body difference? Auto Vs 5speed...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Hey guys, not too long ago I had a terrible idling problem with my throttle body and my idle control........ I ordered a throttle body from a member here but I never knew there was a difference between the throttle body in my auto and the one I got from a5speed ..... When I got it it had a different linkage so I basically thought to myself "I messed up"... I believe JDUB told me to just change the linkage so I did, I put it on and it worked...... But I noticed a tube sticking out from the 5speed throttle body, it turned out to be a regulator of some sort and honestly nope I did not know this at first :(... A friend opened it up 1 turn and a half but I still dont understand why since my original TB had no opening whatsoever.... I got up this morning and decided to close the sucker down and see wht happens, my idle went from 900-950 to 600-700 it is cold outside.... Just want some opinion from those who know more about this then I do... Any input would be greatly appriciated.. Thanks a million... :)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
thevork;1505348 said:
the only difference in AT/MT is the bracket.

You're referring to the difference between an 86.5-88 and a 89+ TB.
89+ TB's have the ajustment screw capped off.

Soooo, I am not sure wht to do with mine really...... Do I close it or open, I reopened it slightly a minute ago.. When I went back out to start my car it it Idled hard and dropped immidiatly... That was odd, it then started sputtering soo I reopened it a little untill it felt normal..... ah im lost lol...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1505497 said:
the adjustment screw should be full closed. tps might just need to be adjusted.

Fixed that for ya ;)

I would check codes - if a code 51 shows at idle without the AC on or your foot on the gas, the ECU is not in idle speed mode. In this case, the TPS will need to be adjusted.

BTW - a 600-700 warm engine idle is perfectly normal, regardless of OAT.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Wow thanks alot guys, I reopened it a bit and drove much better today than before.... I even got better gas milege to school :p..... Looks like ima have to mess with that darn tps... UGH!!!! Thanks alot thou guys, really appriciate you all....