Thinking of Joining the Special Forces...

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
say good bye to everything comfortable

try reg forces first if its something you want to do go for it

but i graentee the are going to be days there your sitting in a mud hole with frezzing rain coming down in buckets its -2 out and your wondering WTF am i doing hear

p.s cold MRE taste really good at this point in time

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
drunk_medic said:
There's a saying: Queen of the desert - an ugly slut everywhere else.

Take it from a guy who's been working for AFSOC 7+ years: your quality of life will be better than the other services, and you will get shit for it, but who cares?

I worked AFSOC for a few years as well. If your single and like to do "fun shit" then you might like it. If you have a wife, kids or even a G/F the ops tempo( amount of deployments, etc.) can and will put a terrible strain on your relationships. Be prepared for that.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
To be able to wear the 'Green Beret', a very honorable privelege. A hard road to get there, but I trained with several Rangers and Marines in my time in the Army, and none of them ever had any regrets, in going for the "hard shit"! They all said it was well worth it. If you think you have brothers here on the forum, just wait till you place that beret on your head...(if you ever do). For inspiration, watch the John Wayne classic..."The Green Berets"...That says it all. If it is what you want, I say go for it!
Good luck, if you take the plunge!
They are some of the nations finest!::salute::

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you think you can, then do it and don't hedge.
yep... my buddy of 18 went right into special forces
No he didn't. He went from BCT to the MOS program for his 18 series. No gurantee of a Green Beret. Oh wait, is he chAir Force too?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RHDMK3 said:
Most insurance companies have "war clauses" in their policies.
That reminds me, AFBA, Armed Forces Benifits Association covers combat soldiers, including terrorism, with no location restrictions.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Do it Roy! I'm doing the same at this very moment. I've sold my business & my house is all but sold (I have a contract on it), so I'm all set to go back in the Army. The domino's have fallen just right over the last two months. My wife's cousin is a Command Sergeant Major at Ft Benning, his neighbor is the 3rd Ranger Battalion CSM, I was introduced to him, given the chance to get a direct assignment to 3/75th if I wanted to come back in, so my wife & I decided to do it. Now, don't get me wrong, I have a long road to travel to be a bonafide Ranger because I have to go through Ranger school at the young age of 37, but I will pass, failure is not an option, quitting is a word that I don't use....

The others are right, you can't jump right into SF. Go into the Infantry for two or three years, then volunteer for SFAS (Special Forces Assessment & Selection). Set your mind to it, and you will make it. You have to want it with all of your heart, or you're likely to fail.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
"Special forces," "regular forces"... heh. There are no "regular forces" and I think there is too much of a focus on "special forces" in the Army.

The two "special forces" I'd suggest that you try to become a part of are Marine Recon and the Navy Seals. Those aren't typically called "special forces" because the names "recon" and "seals" say enough.

How long is AF bootcamp now? Still 6 1/2 weeks?

Take the obvious choice - 13 1/2 weeks. ;)

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
OOOOOOOOOO RAWWWWWW!!!!!

http://www.umass.edu/armyrotc/pages/running.htm

Lee_Ermey_Full_Metal_Jacket.jpg

Greg

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
SP 7M said:
How long is AF bootcamp now? Still 6 1/2 weeks?

It's supposed to be moving to 9 weeks. I don't know if they've done it yet though.

But the officer "bootcamp" through ROTC was only 4 weeks :naughty: , muahaha
(but 4 years of ROTC, DOH! :cry: )

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
SupraDerk said:
It's supposed to be moving to 9 weeks. I don't know if they've done it yet though.

Any idea how long an officer's "contract" is for (from what I understand, they can give up their commission to get out; correct me if I'm wrong)?

Greg, if you're directing that banter toward me, I'm not at all about that kind of stuff. But hey, he might as well go for the hardest branch to get into rather than anything short of that, right? :biglaugh:

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
SupraDerk said:

I believe that 9 week program starts either this month or in November I believe. OTS ( Officer Training School ) is 12 weeks long iirc. Usually people who go to OTS are people who didn't do ROTC in college or they are prior Enlisted.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
SP 7M said:
Any idea how long an officer's "contract" is for (from what I understand, they can give up their commission to get out; correct me if I'm wrong)?

Greg, if you're directing that banter toward me, I'm not at all about that kind of stuff. But hey, he might as well go for the hardest branch to get into rather than anything short of that, right? :biglaugh:

I think an Officers Commission last for 5 years before they can either re-enlist or opt to resign their commission and get out.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I'm not really sure about officers. What I just heard from my now former Captain is that he's got 15 years until he can get out. He's a pilot and I know damn well that his term isn't just five years. Shit, he'd only be flying the aircraft he was trained to fly in a tactical squadron for approximately one year.

Yup, I'm a civilian again. :D

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
RHDMK3 said:
I think an Officers Commission last for 5 years before they can either re-enlist or opt to resign their commission and get out.

Officers have "commitments"...they do not re-enlist. For example, if an officer changes duty station he/she will incur a 2 year commitment. Commitments can run simultaneously...lets say you have 3 years left on your initial commissioning commitment and you change duty station. You incur 2 years, but you will not have to stay in longer because the 2 years will expire before your original commitment (3 years left) is over. When I was active duty, I had 4 commitments going on at the same time...pilot training, retention bonus, change of station, and education ;)

Once an officer's commitment is up, they can get out at any time (but don't have to)...if an officer turns down a change in duty station, that means they will be separating from active duty at the end of the current commitment. Once an officer separates, they have the option (at least in the AF) of resigning their commission or accepting a reserve commission.

SP 7M said:
Yeah, I'm not really sure about officers. What I just heard from my now former Captain is that he's got 15 years until he can get out. He's a pilot and I know damn well that his term isn't just five years. Shit, he'd only be flying the aircraft he was trained to fly in a tactical squadron for approximately one year.

Yup, I'm a civilian again. :D

The current AF pilot training commitment is 10 years after you complete pilot training and pilot training lasts a year. Effectively, you sign up for 11 years when you accept a pilot training slot. There is no 15 year commitment that I'm aware of...either your Captain is confused (he added his pilot commitment to his initial one) or he spent several years in another job before going to pilot training; the 11 years takes him to the 15 year career point.