Thinking of doing a 1jz swap...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I've never considered doing a 1jz swap until recently. My friend offered to sell me a 1jz motor with everything else I'd need for the swap.

If I was to take the car to my mechanic to have the swap done properly I'd be looking to spend about 5 grand right? So the real question is, should I swap for the 1jz or just buy someone's MKIII that already has the swap done?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
only you can decide that. You'll be lucky to find a garage that can swap it out for you. There's plenty of info on here that will help you do it yourself it your inclined to. Good luck either way.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I say go for the swap. I wouldn't pay 5k for a shop to do it though. Like suprahero said, there is a lot of tech info and you might be able to find someone near you that's part of SM that would help you. Are you deployed like I am right now?

mrsuprafreak

Where does it end?
Aug 14, 2005
Orlando
www.cardomain.com
If all you had was the car(shell) with nothing else it would cost about 5k. But that would include the motor and the labor and then some. It's around 4500 taking it somewhere to get it done that knows what there doing.
2000 for labor
2500 for motor tranny and ecu and etc.

stan

don't forget parts:

new gaskets for good measure
replace main seals
new clutch
new radiator for good measure
hoses
2j throttle cable
2j power steering line
89+ crossmember if your shell is 86-88, or custom motor mounts
may be more stuff, thats all i can think of off the top of my head

2500 will cover a clip, but you'll have a decent amount to spend on needed parts as well.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Go for 1J if you're up to it meaning you have the necessary tools, equipment and patience. I had my swap done professionally (www.phoenixtuning.com) and yeah it is costly but in the end you know it is done right.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I think I'm going to go for it. :naughty: Especially since money is no problem. I have till late 2007 to make up my mind anyway. I'm currently deployed in Mosul Iraq at FOB Marez.

Also, the friend I'm reffering to is in the same brigade as I am. He is only missing a couple of parts from having everything.