thinking about switching to jdm 2jz ecu, any input would be great

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
hey guys, my auto 1j soarer ecu went bad on me again on the dyno two nights ago... i've been seriously considering switching to a jdm 2jz ecu because i'm tired of buying and repairing the ecu's. i've searched to see what the benifits are to going from 1jz ecu to 2jz ecu but didn't come up with much... all i got is that it is a better ecu with better timming control which cause a single turbo setup to spool faster and it ofcourse don't keep blowing caps like the 1j ecu's. the only downside i found was that the rev limiter is moved from 7k or 7200 to 6500 or 6800 rpms, just alittle shorter. i was just wondering what your inputs would be (other benifits and downfall?), let me know any input is appreciated!

thanks, toua

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
well i want to use my greddy emanage also, so i'm going to have dr. tweak make me a jumper harness for a 2jz ecu and have the emanage hooked up to the harness.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Imo the car drives much better with the 2jz ecu. Its a good alternative to going standalone. You could get a Geforce ecu later on if you wanted a higher rev limter.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
tissimo;1363087 said:
Imo the car drives much better with the 2jz ecu. Its a good alternative to going standalone. You could get a Geforce ecu later on if you wanted a higher rev limter.

Agreed it does run a whole lot better even outside boost.

Hey Justin, just curious in what else it will need to run g-force ecu?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
ok thanks guys, what is the g-force ecu? who can wire jumper harnesses besides dr. tweak? dr. tweak said he could make one for me but he is charging me quite a bit including the wiring for my emanage and i'm really tight on money right now? so what does the 2j ecu offer different from the 1jz? it definitely seems like a better option

toua

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I've seen vague threads as well and was wondering myself, but if some facts bould be put into this post it would end it all. If people search for it that is.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes I recently did this swap, it runs 10x better. Everyone is leaving out that the 2jz's have sequential injection! You have to run new wires to 3 injectors as the ecu sends signals for each cylinder instead of in pairs of 2. So you can't just plug in a jumper harness and go. The 6800 rev limiter is kind of a bummer but as was posted, you can get an aftermarket 2j ecu and get rid of that. You should DEFINITELY make the switch from 1j to 2j ecu, the car just is smoother no matter what I'm doing compared to the stock ecu.

The G-Force ecu is just an aftermarket ecu for the 2j's kinda like how the 1j has mines and such. It raises the rev limiter to like 8k or higher in some cases, and modifies the fuel and timing maps. There is nothing you need to change when going from a normal 2jz ecu to a g-force.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You would need a Map ECU or HKS VPC to run the US ECU (G Force included), to emulate the MAF signal to the ecu.

The US MKIV ECU has a 7000 rev limiter IIRC, its a slight bump from the 6700-6800 of the Aristo.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
ok thanks, so i'm guessing the g-force ecu is only offered for the usdm ecu? has anyone tried the emanage ultimate with a jdm 2jz ecu and successfully raised the rev limit on the ecu?

toua

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Don't know if that is possible, but I would toss the 1jz ecu and run the 2jz. And with 440's on the 1jz, it doesn't need much tuning!

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
86_sports_1jz;1363682 said:
ok thanks, so i'm guessing the g-force ecu is only offered for the usdm ecu? has anyone tried the emanage ultimate with a jdm 2jz ecu and successfully raised the rev limit on the ecu?

toua

You can't raise the rev limit with piggyback systems. Also G-Force isn't the only option. You can get aftermarket ecu's made for the aristo (such as Blitz) that wouldn't require you to get a piggyback that eliminates MAF. I honestly don't know if there is a Gforce made for the aristo but like I said its not the only option.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
GotTurbos?;1363950 said:
You can't raise the rev limit with piggyback systems. Also G-Force isn't the only option. You can get aftermarket ecu's made for the aristo (such as Blitz) that wouldn't require you to get a piggyback that eliminates MAF. I honestly don't know if there is a Gforce made for the aristo but like I said its not the only option.

Honestly, the 6800 rpm rev limit is not that bad. Unless you're a rev junkie all the time even then at 7k rpm there isn't much noticeable power increase from 6800rpm to 7k with the stock cams. My car has a very nice power band from 3000 all the way to 6500 probably due to better timing control and with the sequential injection.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Question. With 2j ecu does this eliminate the need for a resistor for the injectors?

Also, can a j-spec 2j harness work or made to work?

Last edited:

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
rpk2012;1364111 said:
Question. With 2j ecu does this eliminate the need for a resistor for the injectors?

Also, can a j-spec 2j harness work or made to work?

If you run Low impedance injectors the resistor pack is needed.

Yea, you can run a 2jz harness once you wire it to your car.

With stock cams and a quicker spooling turbo the 6700 rev limit wont limit the 1jz too much. Once you get cams or have a large backhousing/big turbo you'll be limited.

The G-Force ecu option has been used for 700whp on a 2j so should be plenty for those people that dont want to jump into a standalone yet. They're pretty readily available on SF for ~ 500-600.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Trust me go with the aristo ecu. Buy yourself a pnp adapter harness from Dr Tweak, rock it for a while while you save $$ so you can switch it to AEM ems later on.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you guys know the difference between the usdm and jdm ecu besides injectors and maf? is the timming map different?... i know the usdm one's rev limit is higher, is there an advantage to running the usdm ecu over the jdm?

Last edited: