Thinking about selling. What do you think?

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
Unfortunately, I'm thinking about selling my 1J Supra. I need the money and am interested in what you guys think I could get for this thing. I've owned it for a few years and am very attached to it. I did everything to it myself and invested several thousand into it. It's currently running 14 psi and has 380hp at the wheels. It's very capable of running more than 20 psi and achieving 500 wheel hp. I'm not going to sell it if I don't have to, but I just want to know what everyone in the 1J community thinks I could get for it and what it's worth. Here are the specs:

-Mk4 Supra TRD strut tower bar modified to fit my mk3 (done myself) (shortened at ends)
-Recently filled in all unused holes in engine bay and painted it black
-Relocated battery and fuse block to rear seat area
-Custom made battery holder
-1JZ Single Turbo (.70 A/R)
-Full 3'' custom and HKS exhaust
-Tubular manifold
-HKS Standard Wastegate
-GReddy Type R BOV
-Custom made Turbo to manifold adapter (turbo needed to be rotated about 30 degrees to fit)
-HKS head gasket
-ARP head studs
-Titan Motorsports Cam Gears
-FAL Dual Electric Fans
-PWR Radiator
-Samco radiator hoses
-Canon Overflow tank
-3" Intercooler pipes (custom)
-Aftermarket Intercooler
-Short shifter
-Braded clutch line
-TRD clutch
-Braded brake lines
-Power Slot rotors
-HKS 550cc injectors
-Aeromotive FPR
-Nissan 300zx fuel pump
-Corvette LS1 Ignition Coils
-Haltech E11 V2
-A full line of GReddy gauges
-Full black interior to include reupholstered black
-leather seats
-Black carpet kit
-Sparco shifter
-Sparco racing Harnesses
-Megan Racing Coilovers

Attachments

• Josh's Pics 396.JPG
    Josh's Pics 396.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Josh's Pics 351.JPG
    Josh's Pics 351.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Josh's Pics 393.JPG
    Josh's Pics 393.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Josh's Pics 389.JPG
    Josh's Pics 389.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 45

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
Oh and the only bad thing I can think of about the car is that in the spare tire area, there are some rusty areas. I'm sure most of you guys have seen this on several Supras. All three I've owned have been rusty there. This isn't very hard to repair.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
assuming interior is in good shape I think 10-12k

getting it tuned for 18 psi on pump gas i think would increase the value, so the potential buyer doesn't have to worry about it after shelling out a boat load of cash for it. Plus bigger hp #s always attracts more attention.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Shadow;887718 said:
I'm not going to sell it if I don't have to, but I just want to know what everyone in the 1J community thinks I could get for it and what it's worth.

I think you answered your own question :) Honestly though, I'd try to keep it if you could.

But, I'm with tissimo about the selling price. Are there anymore pictures of the body and interior?

SupraFan55

Inline Engine Enthusiast
May 1, 2007
Florida
Very clean setup, do you know the exact size of your turbo? Seems like you spool pretty early with a .70 a/r

jizake1jz

FTMFW
Feb 18, 2007
Lake Zurich, IL
has anyone successfully sold an mkiii for that much before. sure i would agree its worth that, but does anyone pay that much.

clean car man, i'd keep it! you'll miss it too much!

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I sold my old 2jz mkiii on stock twins for 10.5k and it looked worse then his. I had a lot of good parts, but needed paint and some interior work.. and I got lucky

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
jizake1jz;887857 said:
has anyone successfully sold an mkiii for that much before. sure i would agree its worth that, but does anyone pay that much.

clean car man, i'd keep it! you'll miss it too much!

It's just the right person to find the right car.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i'd say 10-12.

MKIII market sucks. everyone is poor and wont pay for a good car.

me personally i'd keep it. i was going to sell mine due to a baby but he'll love riding in my supra more than a civic

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
12 thousand is what i had in mind. I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I have some more pictures of the interior and such, but htey're out of date. I will get some new ones and post them soon. I agree the higher power numbers, the better the sale. What do you guys think this car would sell for if it brought 500 hp to the wheels? A few more thousand? All it would take is a tune. Would it be worth me spending the extra money for the extra hp before sale? (IF I SELL)

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
SupraFan55;887838 said:
Very clean setup, do you know the exact size of your turbo? Seems like you spool pretty early with a .70 a/r

T4 and .70 a/r on both sides. It spools at almost full boost for 4500 rpm. Kinda laggy (compared to stock twins), but it really pins you in your seat in boost.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Shadow;887944 said:
12 thousand is what i had in mind. I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I have some more pictures of the interior and such, but htey're out of date. I will get some new ones and post them soon. I agree the higher power numbers, the better the sale. What do you guys think this car would sell for if it brought 500 hp to the wheels? A few more thousand? All it would take is a tune. Would it be worth me spending the extra money for the extra hp before sale? (IF I SELL)

Itll be hard to get more then 12k for a mkiii at all. But it will be easier to get that 12k if it had 500whp.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
just keep it you've put too much into it to leave it now, plus after a while you'll just miss it and end up getting another one again like my friend

SupraFan55

Inline Engine Enthusiast
May 1, 2007
Florida
Shadow;887951 said:
T4 and .70 a/r on both sides. It spools at almost full boost for 4500 rpm. Kinda laggy (compared to stock twins), but it really pins you in your seat in boost.

Sounds like you got a 66mm or a little bigger on your hands based on what you said, best of luck if you do decide to go through with a sale.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
around 10 is what id assume its worth maybe a lil more than that. But the problem is there are so many lowballers around when it comes time to sell that you could almost never get what ur asking for. i remember just a little while ago a guy on this forum was selling a 1j with a single turbo on it already and some other work done to it for are 4 or 5 K and no one would buy it! it was a na shell with a w58 and a non turbo diff, body was in decent condition but sell. how could someone not pick that car up for such a low price? and a few months ago i saw someone locally selling a red mk3 supra what was ultra clean and and a similar set up to yours. he was asking 10K for and and couldnt get it, then he lowered it to 8 i think and i believe he still had a hard time selling it. The problem is we all kno what the values of these cars are when work is done to it but everyone is trying to get them for a deal instead of paying what they are worth. however this is just my opinion.

nyteryda

nyterydin
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
honestly if you put so much work into the supra. why sell it? you know no one is willing to pay how much you put in the car. if you raise the horsepower numbers, people will think that you be beating up the engine and probably think twice about buying it. unless some one really wants a project car.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
nyteryda;888121 said:
honestly if you put so much work into the supra. why sell it? you know no one is willing to pay how much you put in the car. if you raise the horsepower numbers, people will think that you be beating up the engine and probably think twice about buying it. unless some one really wants a project car.

Quality will show and people will pay if it is worth it to them. Having high HP numbers doesn't always mean one's been beating on the car..... I know I don't ususally look it that way. I usually look at quality and how much information owner is willing to give and put out...

nyteryda

nyterydin
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
that is true. but if you put so much effort and time and money to build such a nice ride. no point to sell it for less then the value it's worth. i would keep it unless you really need the cash, then it's another story.