thinking about adding a second oil cooler VW style

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
I was brainstorming on lunch today about some things I wanted to do to the car before winter let up, one of them was address the oil temps.

I have a shimmed pump, stock cooling system (7MGTE)

I was thinking about adding a VW style cooler.

It is very simlar to like a sandwich plate to feed a turbo in an NA-T car. It has 2 cooling lines flowing through it, IN and OUt. Has an o Ring that seals the cooler on thr engine block side and a 27mm nut hold it on from the other side...then the oil filter.

I was going to add this and still run the stock cooling system....

Any input..yay, nay?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I need some more info on how this works. Is it an adapter you plan on replacing the stock filter head with? Or, is it some kind of cooler?

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Ill gather some more info tonight for you jdub. To try and desribe it a little more. It uses engine coolant to cool the oil. It would go original house, vw cooler, and then filter. Same way vw does it.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not a big fan of the coolant-to-oil type...a bigger air cooler is a better choice.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The problem with a coolant type is it puts additional thermal load on the coolant system. Fine if you have excess capacity...on a 7M, usually not the case though. The engine tends to run a bit hot. Using a larger air/oil cooler helps reduce the thermal load on the coolant system and rid the engine of heat with a different path.

I would spend my $$$ on a full flow thermostat controlled oil cooler circuit. It will help keep overall temps down and is much more efficient keeping the oil at the proper ops temp.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
One thing i ran into with just a oil filter adapter, is that the fittings ran into my lower intercooler pipe...

So just remember that when your trying to stuff all this stuff on that side of the engine with a ct-26.