Think I killed my r154 or pressure plate...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Was on my way to work this morning with the E/T streets on the car (was planning a trip to the strip tomorrow night) and heard a loud bang during a 2nd gear pull and now I've got a loud rpm-based clanking that goes away when I push the clutch in.

I know the 1st gear thrust washer is a weak point in the R154 but can it let go in 2nd gear like this? Also heard that pressure plate straps tend to let go at my tq level (~500 to the wheels) but it seems like the noise would be there regardless of whether the clutch was disengaged in that case since the PP is always spinning.

Going to drop the trans when I get some spare time, was just hoping to get some ideas in the meantime...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Pressure plate straps would make less noise with the clutch pushed in. You're taking the load off of them.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hopefully it's a clutch issue. I don't think the tranny would break @ 500, but it could. Mine has held pretty strong for the last year and a half at 640rwhp.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
not saying that this is your issue but i had the same noise, and it was the bearing retainer, and thrust washer in the tranny so if nothing else checks out then thats most likely the issue, but hey man i wish you the best of luck! About the only good part of getting a tranny done is you dont have to worry about it for a while! Good luck sir

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Got the inspection covers off tonight and the pressure plate looks fine but the throwout bearing hub is difficult to turn and binds at one point in its rotation so the throwout may be damaged but I'll have to pull the trans to see if it just failed or the bearing retainer failed and damaged it...

Last edited:

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
pilot bearing could also be the culprit of the low rpm noise that go away when the clutch is depressed.
or flywheel that is not torqued properly will make clunking noise too