the worth of n/a

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
Ive been driving for 33 years and logged many hundreds of thousands of miles. Driving style has lots to do with mpg, ( speaking as a life long "lead foot" I KNOW what I am talking about). Use cruise control all you can, take off with in "reason", slow down gradually when you are going to have to stop. These things help a little, but the majority of difference comes from a well tuned engine. I have an MK4 NA getting 30+ MPG and my last car was a 5 speed 1jz MK3 getting 30,I have had 3 7MGTE cars getting 25+. Id rather have something like this than a 35 ( if you are lucky) 4 cylinder which you have to catch on a down hill slide to pass anyone. The Supras I read about on here getting 15 or so need a serious "diagnosis" to what the problem is. Best advice for higher MPG, slow down enjoy the ride!!!

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
too_stand;1073998 said:
Best advice for higher MPG, slow down enjoy the ride!!!

Worst advice for a Supra owner :)

I don't mind paying a little more to enjoy my Supra. I have my Camry for daily driving/long hauls. It gets 27 in city and 31 on the highway, and that's just fine with me.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I drove to VA once, averaged about 70mph ~2500-2650RPM, and I got 28mpg highway. That, however, was with an intake leak and running slightly rich the entire time (according to my a/f gauge). I fixed those problems, and now I get ~23-24 MPG combined. With the mix of driving I do, that's about 360-400 miles on a tank. Definitely get as good or better mileage out of my '89 turbocharged grand touring machine than my boss gets out of his '97 Accord.

I also drive like a dick most of the time.

Also, for what it's worth, I really never use cruise control. I honestly don't think you get better mileage out of it. That episode of Top Gear, if you recall it, where Clarkson drives the Audi A8 Twin-turbo V8 diesel he goes on to say that he kept off of the cruise control as a decent driver's foot is more sensitive and can keep constant speed with less changes in RPM (for nonflat terrain). It takes a little more concentration, but I have gotten about 1-1.5 extra MPG with manual speed control.

iceman1969

suprapuzzled
Feb 3, 2008
Redding, CA
All good advice, and at this point I am going to drive this '89 into the ground and rebuild this '96 2jzgte supra that I came across the day it was drop off at a pick and pull lot. It was a steal for $1,500. It was rear-ended at about 20 mph and is salvageable. Currently in my garage on a non-op waiting to drive the beast.

Wish me luck, I got plenty planned.

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
Big Wang Bandit;1067398 said:
Pre 89 NA is worth... Hmmm, about as much as a huffy 10 speed bike.

..And my huffy doesn't have electrical problems, but I'll do anything for the targa :naughty:

iceman1969;1108941 said:
All good advice, and at this point I am going to drive this '89 into the ground and rebuild this '96 2jzgte supra that I came across the day it was drop off at a pick and pull lot. It was a steal for $1,500. It was rear-ended at about 20 mph and is salvageable. Currently in my garage on a non-op waiting to drive the beast.

Wish me luck, I got plenty planned.

Jesus that's more than a steal, that's armed robbery!

iceman1969

suprapuzzled
Feb 3, 2008
Redding, CA
Tae361;1109011 said:
..And my huffy doesn't have electrical problems, but I'll do anything for the targa :naughty:

Jesus that's more than a steal, that's armed robbery!

Guy that works there got me deal on it. I found out the intake manifold has a leak and the exaust manifold is craked, but even so it's still a steal. I'll have pics up next week when I get my camera back. My little sister went to Ireland for the World Baton Twirling Compitition and I haven't got it back yet.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
if your getting 15mpg there is something seriously wrong with your 7m. ways i improved my mpg make sure your afm electronics are working 100%, same as o2, not old plugs, change the 20 year old clogged fuel filter(when i did i cut it in half. you wouldn't believe all the grit and dirt), boost leaks, good connections at battery to harness and grounds, good intake, and turbo back exhaust. if i put around i can get about 25-30mpg. at the drags my car uses maybe a quarter tank with about 7-10 passes. including driving there and usually racing someone on the way. lol.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Basically the NA mk3 should never have been made, the turbo mk3 has enough work needed to make it a beast, the NA is just got nothing, no aftermarket support and even if there were a lot I doubt very seruiously you'd ever get much out of it.

If you want serious power go 7MGTE, 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE but for god sakes stay away from the NA's, now the 2JZGE can be NA-T very easily compared to other choices. SHOP AROUND!!!!!

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
the limiting factor is the stock cams! and maybe the intake manifold. and a lot of other stuff now that i think about it. But im sure it would do nice with some ITBs, high compression, header back exhaust, some big cams, and a tune.