"The Six Billion Dollar Experiment" LHC

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
I brought this up on a forum that I frequent and though I would share

"In the coming months the most complex scientific instrument ever built will be switched on. The Large Hadron Collider promises to recreate the conditions right after the Big Bang. By revisiting the beginning of time, scientists hope to unravel some of the deepest secrets of our Universe."

Here is the BBC video about the LHC
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6454521153918323669&hl=en

Here is the LHC's main web site http://www.cern.ch/lhc/

Basically the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is going to be the biggest particle accelerator ever made. Scientist have come up the "Standard Model" which is the basic particles of matter. The only thing missing is what forms matter into objects, Higgs boson is what they call this missing particle. With the LHC scientist hope to be able to find it.

There is also a possibility that the LHC can create a black hole and destroy the world/universe . A very very very small possibility. Supposedly they should just dissipate.

The start date as of now is May 2008 but could still change.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
number 12 on 20 ways we could be destroyed...

12. Particle accelerator mishap

Theodore Kaczynski, better known as the Unabomber, raved that a particle accelerator experiment could set off a chain reaction that would destroy the world. Surprisingly, many sober-minded physicists have had the same thought. Normally their anxieties come up during private meetings, amidst much scribbling on the backs of used envelopes. Recently the question went public when London's Sunday Times reported that the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) on Long Island, New York, might create a subatomic black hole that would slowly nibble away our planet. Alternately, it might create exotic bits of altered matter, called strangelets, that would obliterate whatever ordinary matter they met. To assuage RHIC's jittery neighbors, the lab's director convened a panel that rejected both scenarios as pretty much impossible. Just for good measure, the panel also dismissed the possibility that RHIC would trigger a phase transition in the cosmic vacuum energy (see #3). These kinds of reassurances follow the tradition of the 1942 "LA-602" report, a once-classified document that explained why the detonation of the first atomic bomb almost surely would not set the atmosphere on fire. The RHIC physicists did not, however, reject the fundamental possibility of the disasters. They argued that their machine isn't nearly powerful enough to make a black hole or destabilize the vacuum. Oh, well. We can always build a bigger accelerator.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Suprawannabe said:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I always hated that phrase 'from nothing came everything...'

Kinda gives me an eerie feeling.

*edit*
Does anyone else think this stuff is so far out that it's impossible? Even the stuff that are actually being done today... Sorry, I just think that astronomy stuff is awesome.

Last edited:

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Oh I think it very cool, that's why I posted it.

There is going to be some advancements from the LHC. Whether they're big or small, only time will tell.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
well that black hole and the strangelets sound really fun

so i haven't read anything but the info on this thread, and from what i'm understanding, we are risking our humanity to see how our world was created after the big bang? if that's correct; What the fuck?

damn Brits

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
It depends on how you look at it. Yeah there is a very remote chance something could happen, just like like when we set off the A- bomb there was a remote chance of vaporizing the atmosphere. Considering it is very unlikely, its not that big of a concern compared to what good could come from it.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
Suprawannabe said:
It depends on how you look at it. Yeah there is a very remote chance something could happen, just like like when we set off the A- bomb there was a remote chance of vaporizing the atmosphere. Considering it is very unlikely, its not that big of a concern compared to what good could come from it.

interesting topic.

however, i don't see what good came from the atomic bomb. sure, it ended WWII... but did good come from it?

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
thesandymancan said:
interesting topic.

however, i don't see what good came from the atomic bomb. sure, it ended WWII... but did good come from it?

I wasn't referring to the Abomb being a good thing. That was for the LHC. I was just using an example of how if we go into the unknown we can never really know the outcome whether it be a theory or not, we just have to take a chance and rely on what we know. The level this particle accelerator can go is higher then ever before. So there are a lot of things that can happen.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
No big interest in watching really....You can tell me it. Create new planet or new life on planet (new oil, other resources and things?)?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
LHC

Higgs Boson, the last piece of the particle puzzle. The particle that "gives" an object MASS. At least if our model is correct :)

So what is so big about mass you say?

Well MASS is what limits us to C (Speed of light) as when you approach speed of light, Mass becomes infinite making inertia infinite. So what?

Mass is connected with inertia.

Mass is connected directly with gravity. More mass more gravity. Surpass critical mass and you end up with a blackhole.

Mass = energy. Ensue more mass to a piece of wood and you have more wood to burn for the same given dimension, same with coal or other fuels. How? Density is mass per unit volume.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
If this actually works... I honestly doubt its going to answer ever question that we could possible have. I think it'll raise more questions than it will answer, esp if the Higgs thing turns out to be incorrect.

Once it gets to THAT level, everything just starts sounding 'stupid'.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Only if you can't wrap your mind around it...

If it opens up more questions than it answers, that means we have succeeded and know where to look next