The REALLY big headache supra

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
So I finally finished assembling my motor and everything and she wont idle at all. The engine revs fine and if you keep it above 1000rpm will run, but drop below 1000rpm and it stutters and dies. Occasionally a puff of black (gas) smoke. Ive been banging my head on this no idle for months now with no luck. After searching the forum, I found similar problems but I have tried those fixes to no avail. Any advice would be awesome.

Mods done:
BC 1mm oversize valves, Intake and Exhaust
57Trim DM rebuilt turbo.
HKS Turbo exhaust
DM 3" downpipe
new Walbro fuel pump
and I have an SAFC that hasnt been wired in yet, along with the AVC-R, neither are wired into the car or have any pieces installed.

Right now my biggest priority is getting the car to idle before I move forward with more mods.Thank in advance for any insight.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
Timing is arguable. It was set before. So full work history, Should have included earlier. In June the motor would idle but would not rev (at my local Toyota Dealer). After having the engine harness rebuilt, new AFM, new FPR, new fuel damper, replaced cracked fuel supply hardline, cam and ignition timing where checked, the motor now revs but will not idle. I will check VAC tomorrow when I'm at school working on her again. ISCV appears to operate properly, makes the tick as it should and all Volt/ohm tests were passed by it. On the ISCV note though, isn't there a check valve where it meets the surge tank? If so, could I have put it in backwards and that be my problem? Again thanks all. I will update this tomorrow with VAC and any other testing I do.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you have a walbro did you bypass or drill out the j tube? Afpr us not nessaccary to get it to idle.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
I personally set and triple checked the TPS, set as per spec. No i did not remove the j-tube. I do have the aeromotive AFPR in the trunk, but for CA smog purposes its not installed yet. If worst comes to worst I'll take smog concerns away and deal with it after I get her running.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
Hey guys, finally time to work on it and update. ISCV check valve was installed properly, VAC testing showed 20" at 1000rpm right before it stalls. Fuel pressure reads 39-40psi, used an analog gauge. So far, no further progress on making her run. Testing led me in a circle today back to A/F ratio and I cant tell if shes going pig rich and dying, or from sound and smell, it seems more likely shes going lean to the point of stalling. Oddly enough she still revs freely above 1000rpm. Thanks for the help so far guys.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
So its been a while, but I have finally located the problem. I decided to smoke the intake system for vac and air leaks, found a huge leak where the upper and lower manifolds mate. Upon disassembly, I found that my local dealer (Victory Toyota in Seaside, CA), neglected to reassemble the car properly. They used the old gaskets they removed, which I found pieces missing on, and on the lower manifold didn't include 2 bolts. To top that off no bolts had been torqued, all finger tight or less. Thanks guys for all the input, certainly was a vac "leak".

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
So another update, finished replacing the gasket and assembling the manifolds, but I still have the same leak in the same place where the plenum meets the lower mani, smoke Testing shows leaks across the whole manifold from the bottom. Any ideas, warped manifolds?