The "NOT SO GOOD" gas mileage thread

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
1jz are pigs on gas because they are batch injection.
Swap to an adapter harness with an aristo ecu, wire up the individual injection and you should see some improvement.

my 1jz was hideous on gas.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm running my 1jz with sequential injection now on a 2jz ecu and haven't seen much improvement in gas mileage, just a definite improvement in drivability. I don't think batch injection has much to do with poor mileage.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
^^^ +1

Also, like I mentioned before turn your boost down and drive conservatively if you want to improve your gas mileage.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
another suggestion

just because you stay out of boost, and dont heavy foot it..........if youre taking each gear up to 3K rpms or higher before shifting, youre still gonna use gas

my first setup, i got 25-27mpg, i was shifting at 2000-2200rpms at the most in between gears

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Thats true.. But my gas situation is NEARING 100 miles a tank with STOCK INJECTORS !!! n 10 psi of boost ! and thats hardly going in Boost..

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Supra-Man18;1385640 said:
Thats true.. But my gas situation is NEARING 100 miles a tank with STOCK INJECTORS !!! n 10 psi of boost ! and thats hardly going in Boost..

you have some problems you need to sort out then if thats youre gas mileage

i got more than that on a tank of doing nothing but tuning my 72mm setup at 19psi. i got over 100 on 3/4 of a tank that go around

my T88 setup, i have no idea on gas mileage on it, so far the only time ive driven it, untuned, id venture 5mpg maybe

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Supra-Man18;1385640 said:

You have problems elsewhere. Do a compression test to give you an idea of the health of your motor. If your motor is healthy, I would start as mentioned with replacing the 02 sensor. Then do a a tune-up, replace plugs, air and fuel filter, pcv valve, and check for vacuum / exhaust leaks, try different gas from another gas station, etc. After that reset the ecu and test again.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
OneJSupra;1385755 said:
You have problems elsewhere. Do a compression test to give you an idea of the health of your motor. If your motor is healthy, I would start as mentioned with replacing the 02 sensor. Then do a a tune-up, replace plugs, air and fuel filter, pcv valve, and check for vacuum / exhaust leaks, try different gas from another gas station, etc. After that reset the ecu and test again.

On my Compression test the results were 190 Across the board except for # 5 which was 160 i believe.. but that was on a blown set of twins.Fuel filter is about a year old, plugs are about a 2months old...my air intake might need a change. And which screw in 02 can i use? I don't have the original 2 bolt flange.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i'd get 30mpg and like 15 around town cause I drive like an ass... this was the 7mgte this motor had open 3" exhaust (ddp), 2" IC pipes, k&n intake + cooleaze inlet, thermal insulating gasket on intake mani., turbo wrap, DP wrap, and the ic pipes had heat shield on them as well

my 7mge got like 12 around town and 23ish on the highway

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
It doesn't matter as long as it is 3 wires. You have to splice it to the connector. The mustang sensor has one white (signal) wire and two black wires. The white wire connects to the blue wire on the connector. The two black wires just splice it to the other two wires in the connector.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Ok.. Im gonna buy a new mustang o2 sensor 2morro.. Hopefully i can last 5 days of 20 bucks worth of gas after this Thanks Much OneJSupra

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
#5 was 30 psi lower than the rest! you got a problem. and this could be the problem, you are using energy to drag a bad cyl around with you. do a leakdown test. with no other symptoms id say valve issues.