The Definition of "Ricer"?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Ok, here's the skinny... I need to win an arguement: last night my roomate and his muscle car buddy were arguing with me over the definition of "ricer"/"rice rocket". According to them it is broadly defined as any car from Japan (or other asian countries) that is fast or been modified to go, or appear to go, fast; no matter how it looks, sounds, ect.

My definition, in rebuttal, was that a "ricer" was any vehicle that was modified to appear to be fast (via body kits, mufflers, chrome details, outragously huge dia rims, ect), but is more than likely as fast as cold molassass (atleast until proven otherwise). Therefore, this definition could be applied to any vehicle, not just asian cars. Hence the "modded out" Pontiac Sunfire I saw last friday with a spoiler the size of my Supra and 20" rims (for real!)... it's american, yes, but it would be the ultimate definition of ricer in this usage.

So, what's your take on this? Is ricer a broad term for any car from the east, or is it a deragetory term to put down the overstyled body kits and fart cannon mufflers?

I'd have done a search (I assume this has been discussed previously), but I'll need direct evidence to support my arguement later.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Keros said:
...a deragetory term to put down the overstyled body kits and fart cannon mufflers...

2175162_46_full.jpg

2175162_81_full.jpg

2175162_95_full.jpg

2175162_93_full.jpg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Ricer, is a term used to describe any car that has been modified to the means of ugly, nonfunctional and held together by unconventional means, I.E Duct tape, dry wall screws, hot glue, and or sticky tack.
Any car can be deemed rice, even domestic cars, I consider a lot of Camaros to be rice, considering its all show and no go, but they want to make it seem like they have go.

I think it will be biased here since most of you don't want to be called ricer...

BosoMKII said:
I agree with you.

Don't waste your breath arguing with meathead domestic guys.

Im a domestic guy with respect for some imports, are you calling me a meathead? It was generalized as calling every domestic guy a meathead...

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
GreenChevelleSS said:
I think it will be biased here since most of you don't want to be called ricer...

Upon reading this, I consulted Urban Dictionary, and it appears that the english speaking internet users all agree that our definition is unanimous across the globe.

Thank you for your time everyone. I must now go beat a new definition of Ricer into these two misinformed chumps I call friends :icon_razz

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
GreenChevelleSS said:

Im a domestic guy with respect for some imports, are you calling me a meathead? It was generalized as calling every domestic guy a meathead...

I did not intend what I wrote to be interpreted that way. A meathead could be anyone too dimwitted and stubborn to see the merits of a different interest, persuasion, hobby, or what have you.

I like many domestic cars, but I prefer most imports. I can't stand import ricers who trash domestics universally for the same reasons domestic meatheads trash imports. Those reasons being just because they don't like them, see them as POS etc. Usually stems from cultural differences of the people bashing on eachother's likes.

We are all car enthusiasts, can't we just get along? :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Keros said:
Ok, here's the skinny... I need to win an arguement: last night my roomate and his muscle car buddy were arguing with me over the definition of "ricer"/"rice rocket". According to them it is broadly defined as any car from Japan (or other asian countries) that is fast or been modified to go, or appear to go, fast; no matter how it looks, sounds, ect.
He is correct. How old are you? That is a real question too. More than 10 years ago, my friends called my Supra the rice rocket, because it is from Japan. The kids that don't know any better, slowly changed into an insult for other kids that do ugly things to their Japanese cars, and now any car that is hacked up.

I am thinking those that are only 20 or so now, weren't even aware of a rice rocket, especially one of the crotch design when they were 7 or 8.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Nick M said:
He is correct. How old are you? That is a real question too. More than 10 years ago, my friends called my Supra the rice rocket, because it is from Japan. The kids that don't know any better, slowly changed into an insult for other kids that do ugly things to their Japanese cars, and now any car that is hacked up.

I am thinking those that are only 20 or so now, weren't even aware of a rice rocket, especially one of the crotch design when they were 7 or 8.

Thats good and all, but 20 years ago, when the JDM sports market was hitting hard here in the USA is why it was given that name. Times change, and so do terms.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Nick M said:

Yes, exactly what he said. I had no grounds to argue about what it meant 20 years ago, because I was about 1 year old and didn't give a damn at the time.

D34DC311 said:
Thats good and all, but 20 years ago, when the JDM sports market was hitting hard here in the USA is why it was given that name. Times change, and so do terms.

Exactly what I said in rebuttal. 20 years ago is two decades ago. The automotive industry is a different animal now than it was a fifth of a century ago, times change and so do attitudes and opinions.

So, I suppose the real issue is; does what a word meant 20 years ago, really matter, when it means something completely different in the eyes of the general public now? I suppose when you compliment someone's well built import with a classy body kit and 800hp by saying "dude, nice ricer!"... and he punches you in the head, I suppose his definition is slightly more modern than yours.

soontohave

looking for a supra!!
May 9, 2007
cos cob, ct
your honda has a spoiler on it for "downforce". your honda is also front wheel drive...
:gotrice:?????
Dont even bother arguing over the defenition of rice with those domestic guys. what they dont realize is that there mustang with a v6, straightpipes and no cats is just as bad as a geo with a fart cannon and a shopping cart spoiler. rice came from japanese cars but that doesnt mean that all japanese cars are rice, nor that all rice cars are japanese. in a nutshell your supra is not rice unsess its got turbo badges on a 7m-ge, and other gay shit like big ass spoilers and fart cannons, but nothing else.
IF THE FIRST THING YOU HAVE DONE TO YOUR CAR IS A SPOILER AND RIMS, YOUR CAR IS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRICE!!!!!!!!! NO EXEPTIONS!!!!!!