The 7M Strikes Again!

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
UPDATE ON POST #16

This is not another one of those MY SUPRA BLEW UP threads. This is a slowly progressing problem. First of all, as you all know my Supra is a 88 NA/AT with an 89 T/5Spd. And you all may know that it has been overheating when I come off of the freeway. Well, after trying a few different remedies, I have come to one conclusion. 125 PSI into the 6th Cylinder at TDC yielded a gurguling noise in the radiator. BHG. Fun stuff. Now here are my questions. Does the block have to be a mirrior shine to use ANY kind of MHG, or just the HKS Stopper. Or can I get away with a Comedic or some other brand, not having a mirrior shine? Also, if I can't get away with using a MHG without getting the block resurfaced to a mirrior shine, then what other HG's do you guys reccomend?

JDM 89+ 40k Mile 3 Month Warranty Engine - $1700
JDM 89+ 55k Mile 5Spd - $600
Brand Spanking New 89+ Harness - $391
Other Misc Parts/Fluids - $1000
No Head retorque - BHG

Lucky for me I have another car that needs minor work to get it back on the road. In spite of all the frustration I am still going to move forward with this car, even though it's turning into one hell of a money pit. At least it'll be nice when it's running again. Thanks for all your support guys and gals.

Shawn

Last edited:

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
You do need to get the block and head resurfaced for a MHG. Some people don't do the block with the cometic but why risk it?

Also, those prices seem pretty high for used stuff. You can pick up a used engine and tranny for much much cheaper locally and it might even be in better condition.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
when i dd my metal hg (cometic) i didnt resurface the block. what i did do was use a file to make sure that the front cover was flat with the surface of the block (checked using a very good straightedge) and i actually had to take off quite a bit of material there.going over the entire block, there werent any high spots, and the file helps to get the old gasket stuff off. i checked everything several times by laying the straight edge in every possible angle possible and trying to slide a feeler gauge under it (thickness is .05mm for max warpage according to tsrm)

moral: a cometic is fine without a resurface as long as the block is verified flat and clean.

xanatos

Jan 18, 2007
Norcross, GA
1988SupraDreams said:
No Head retorque - BHG

Shawn

No Head retorque - BHG - $? Priceless

There, fixed it for ya. LOL

Just kidding bro. Sorry to hear, total bummer. Where did you get your harness so cheap? The prices I've been seeing for a new harness are in the $500's. Granted, I've also got to find one that will work with an 87, so I don't know if that would be a factor.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
MmmBoost said:
moral: a cometic is fine without a resurface as long as the block is verified flat and clean.

You got lucky ;)

Even the Cometic MHG has a RA spec...50 RA to be exact. If you install a Cometic without ensuring the minimum RA on both the block and head, you risk failure. You might get away with it...then again, you might not...do it right, do it once ;)

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
xanatos said:
No Head retorque - BHG - $? Priceless

There, fixed it for ya. LOL

Just kidding bro. Sorry to hear, total bummer. Where did you get your harness so cheap? The prices I've been seeing for a new harness are in the $500's. Granted, I've also got to find one that will work with an 87, so I don't know if that would be a factor.

Jeff at Champion Toyota.

redmkiii

Bluemkiii's Big brother
Mar 9, 2006
arizona
No Head retorque - BHG

So Jeff at champion toyota can get me a 7mgte with a r154 for $600? Do you have his number? thanks.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
redmkiii said:
No Head retorque - BHG

So Jeff at champion toyota can get me a 7mgte with a r154 for $600? Do you have his number? thanks.

You must have reading problems. Only the WIRE HARNESS was purchased from Jeff at Champion Toyota. All the other stuff was bought from different places.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Nothing spectacular. 350HP 370 FT/LB Torque and a reliable weekend car. I've decided to just do the MHG and fix my Buick. (Upper control arm stud SNAPPED due to no bushing, it just rocked to death till it snapped) Shit the buick has an LT1, theres some nice power there :biglaugh:

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i used a mhg and didn't have the block resurfaced but my motor had been rebuilt sortly before i bought it all i did was put a straight edge on it checked it had the head resurfaced and used arp bolts and i haven't had any problem yet (knock on wood)

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Okay folks, Right before I found my BHG, I retorqued the head, but hadn't started the car. I ran the car for 250 miles thinking I had a BHG, and I went to pressure test the cooling system and to test the cyl again. No leaks, perfect pressure in the rad. So it turns out the retorque saved the HG, but I'm no fool, I'm still ready and waiting for the BHG. Case closed for now.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYBODY!

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
supra90turbo said:
Keep collecting parts. You may have saved it though.

Oh believe me, I'll soon have, ARP Studs, Exhaust Helicoil Kit, and a Toyota Head Gasket kit sitting in my closet. If I wanna do a MHG, all I gotta do is buy the MHG (and the machine work), but if I wanna do a stocker, thats all I'll need other than the fluids.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
MmmBoost said:

I agree with this Guy I have done the same on more than 3 different motors and so have more than 3 different friends (3, I can verify, hear say on more)

If you have corrosion or "BAD" pitting on the block all bets off have it surfaced.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
arz said:
I agree with this Guy I have done the same on more than 3 different motors and so have more than 3 different friends (3, I can verify, hear say on more)

If you have corrosion or "BAD" pitting on the block all bets off have it surfaced.

I'll keep that in mind when the day comes, oh and believe me it should be soon.