Testing a 7m gte

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
Bought a stock 7mgte semi recently. Crank will spin; the guy who sold it said it runs and has an ARP head stud kit. Figured I didn't have much to lose at $100. I have an 88 turbo with a spun bearing, pulled that engine a year ago. I was just going to throw the "new" engine in the 88 and see whats up with it. My grandpa (retired 40+ heavy equipment mechanic) suggested saving myself time and testing it on a stand first. I searched "engine test stand" and didn't have much luck.

Questions:
Easier to put engine in the car or rig it up on a stand? Any write ups on running a 7m on a stand?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
cant be done on stand due to the way the starter works, atleast not with my stand. i had to bolt the tranny back on and tie it to a palet then start that way. just plug the ecu and ignitor in then figure which wires are power, drop some gas down the intake then crank

only needs to run for 3-4 seconds to know if you got rod knock. and as you got no colant in it run to long it will overheat.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
What your grandpa is talking about is an engine 'run stand' or 'mock up stand'. Hard core guys build them for their engines to get most of the set up figured out before putting it in the car. You really only see V8 guys do it, my engine is on one right now. Once you build one for a certain engine family you don't have to make another one. Had a great link but it wont work when I attach it, this one will give you the idea. Not something you can just buy for the 7M/1JZ/2JZs you have to make one.

www.sonnyshelper.com

http://lainefamily.com/EngineStandProject.htm (really good link)

Last edited: