Tems springs for non tems shocks

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
I like the feel and ride of my stock springs, but they are seriously rusty. I recently bought a set of stock TEMS springs and shocks from another member thinking that I was going to be able to do a quick mod to make my car TEMS enabled because I had the TEMS harness in the front of the car and assumed that it would have it in the rear as well, but when I removed all the paneling from the rear of the car the connections were no where to be found. Now, I'm considering just using the TEMS springs to replace my old rusty non-TEMS springs. I talked to our local parts dealer when I was pricing new stock springs, which were way too much, and they told me there were six different types of springs for the Supra depending on model and options the car originally sold with. If I put the TEMS springs on my car, will I have alignment or ride problems or will it not affect anything? BTW, my car is a 1990 Turbo Targa 5 speed w/ R154 tranny and LSD rear. Thanks.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
You should do the float test with the springs? Find a river or lake, throw them in, if they float, they will work perfectly for your car, if they sink, then they're trash and you should get a real suspension.

Just throw them on, if they're different, you won't notice it.

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
LOL! I'm an originalist. I'm working to have a car that is going to be as nice and clean and stock as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. I'm not a street racer, but it's a fast car as is and I also want the dependability. I've rode in cars with the modded suspensions and they generally feel too harsh, kind of like someone kicking you in the butt everytime you hit a little bump.

Wiisass;1183770 said:
You should do the float test with the springs? Find a river or lake, throw them in, if they float, they will work perfectly for your car, if they sink, then they're trash and you should get a real suspension.

Just throw them on, if they're different, you won't notice it.