TEMS hack?

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
Hey guys. Is it possible to install a tems system into a non tems supra? My struts have the adjustment inlet on top, they are kyb from the dealership. And i have the rest of the system and wiring harness from another supra i just picked up. I want to install it and make it more adjustable than factory presets.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
They are just stepper motors, correct? You can build a controller pretty easily, just takes some electronics knowledge.

It would be a neat idea to have more than the stock settings. Like having different front/rear settings for drag racing, etc

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
Awesome info! Thanks a bunch. I dissambled the tems and removed all the wiring. The shock is controlled by a half gear,(motor controlled)/half locking cam, (solonoid controlled) unit. I have the wiring schematics from the manual. Im gonna attempt to delete all the inputs and use the stock com. if possible.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
shadowman1977;2078796 said:
Yes, that is my idea, I don't need the automatic TEMS control I just want to put in a rheostat and be able to control the three positions, soft-medium-hard.

Look for the discontinued HKS controller on ebay. Well, I am assuming it is discontinued.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Install TEMS shocks, run inputs for steering angle, tps, brakes, install TEMS motors, install rear TEMS harness( only front is installed in non-TEMS cars, to my knowledge), install TEMS computer, build a controller...This seems like an awful lot of work to retrofit a system that won't perform as well as basic Eibach/ Koni upgrade.

I have TEMS in my '89 with Tanabe's springs, and I'll keep it, but that's a daily driver that I'm not pushing hard, and is just as easy to keep as it is to replace.

My '88 has coil overs because it never came with TEMS.

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
I already bought 4 Tokico TEMS shocks and Eibach springs.I think I'm going to just go hand cable actuated, with separate front and rear levers with two or three positions. Would be lighter...

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
Mostly all the parts are readily available at the bike shop, x6 custom length cables, 2x three stage shift and levers, 2x dual cable splitters, x4 volume knobs, x4 r.c. servo arms and 4 return springs. System weighs under 2lbs. Seperate control of front and rear struts. Mounted the levers under the seat, stacked.