TEMS cover under the hood

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I want to clean up the TEMS cover under the hood. It's just a protective metal cap with a hole for the TEMS wire grommet. It has some foam stuff that is about 1/2 inch or so thick that looks pretty crappy. Has anyone replaced that foam and painted the cap ?

Dealer wants over $25 each for new. Part # 48553

What to use to replace that foam and still look good ?

Attachments

• tems.JPG
    tems.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 16

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Foam tape is pretty cheap, go to a hardware store and find some.

Many people have painted, chromed, or polished the covers as well...

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
The tape works or but you can by sheets of gasket foam from McMaster-Carr in different thicknesses and cut new foam seals. I'm just starting to powdercoat small items and am planning on powdercoating my TEMS covers. I'm not sure what color I'll use yet.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
The paint on those covers comes off fairly easy and they polish up nice. I put them in a satin black engine bay and they looked wicked.:icon_evil

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
MarkIII4Me;1182745 said:
The paint on those covers comes off fairly easy and they polish up nice. I put them in a satin black engine bay and they looked wicked.:icon_evil

Paint or powdercoat sticks well,they just have to be prepped right

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
powdercoated

TEMSCv1L.jpg

For the "foam" you can just cut your own and it will be fine...

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
That blue looks sharp ! After seeing that I sandblasted them and painted mine shiny black and it totally looks like stock. You can still see imperfections in the metal. Now going to get some foam tape and make it look nice.

I put the tems actuator on my new struts but can't tell for sure if the valve is in the right position. The manual shows the needlenose pliers method but I have no baseline. I did take the sup' out for a ride and it used to ride like a cadillac but now it really stopped that extra bounce on hilly roads at 60 mph.

Attachments

• temscover.jpg
    temscover.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 17