tems 1jz ecu

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
ok so i am going to be droping a 1jz into my 1989 supra its a targa and has tems will i lose the tems when i drop in the 1jz with the 1jz ecu???

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
honestabe;1397844 said:
The TEMS have their own controller. The ECU controls the motor, not the suspension.

ok cool thanks for the information. do you guys run with ur tems or no

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
TEMS are a novelty. I'm on coilovers and love them. If you're on a tight budget you can remove the TEMS system and set the shocks to full hard (Jose Valle told me about this a couple years back). If you want a plush ride, get a Cadillac. If you want a Supra, ditch the TEMS and get coilovers :D

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The Supra is a GT car not a race car. I like the ride TEMS offers ;)

Of course TEIN EDFC is a wonderful evolution of the whole concept of TEMS.

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
you have to wire the tems up from the connectors. on mine the jdm connector didnt have the pins or wire in the tems spot. all you got to do is plug the wires in the connector for it to work. I ditched tems went with the bills.

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
Dirgle;1397890 said:
The Supra is a GT car not a race car. I like the ride TEMS offers ;)

Of course TEIN EDFC is a wonderful evolution of the whole concept of TEMS.

I 100% agree with this. But then again I come from a background of RX7's where they were actually built with the idea of being able to turn quickly. If I wanted a dedicated road race car, a MK3 Supra would not be on the list.

To answer the original question, the controller is not housed in the engine ECU. There are a few different shock options that are available outside of OEM shocks that work with the TEMS system. I personally have the Tokico Illumina 2's that are TEMS compatible and it does seem to make a difference on which level is selected. I leave it on Normal 90% of the time because I mostly drive the car to work when I do get it out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.