Temp Sensor question.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
If the temperature sensor was malfunctioning and giving a false high reading would that somehow not allow the car to turn over when trying to start? Someone thought this may be what is wrong with my 90 Supra Automatic.

I have had this problem for a long time and it’s so random it has not been tracked down. Basically after a good hour long drive and for this example I stop and get gas. When I am finished (about a 10 min stop) and try and start up the starter does not turn over. I hear the relay click, but that’s it. If I let it sit for about 15-20 min. it starts right away, Originally I figured the starter was going bad. So it was replaced. That made no difference. Just to make sure the starter was changed again. 3 different starters have been in there and the problem is still there. The next idea was to replace the wires to the battery. All the wires are now new. The problem is still there. The confusing part of this problem is that I can not guarantee that an hour drive will create the problem. Sometimes it will go for weeks and then out of the blue I get stranded somewhere for 20-45 min. The only other information I have that may help is that it does happen with the doors locked or unlocked, I did think that it may be the alarm however I did duplicate the problem once with the doors not locked. If anyone has any ideas for me I would really appreciate it. I hope I can answer any questions that I may receive to help diagnose this problem. I did try to keep it short.. :)

Thank you for any ideas..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
This used to happen to me once in a while.

The problem was the starter contact. When it was hot particularly, like after a long highway drive the starter would refuse to turn. A simple push-start, and I was off.

Eventually, the starter refused to turn over the engine at all. I had the copper contact in the starter replaced, and haven't had the problem since.

I put 30,000 kms on the car with the starter repaired like that, and another 13,000 kms on the 7M-GTE (Which I kept my NA starter for, since it was in known good condition.)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Dan_Gyoba;1007297 said:
This used to happen to me once in a while.

The problem was the starter contact. When it was hot particularly, like after a long highway drive the starter would refuse to turn. A simple push-start, and I was off.

Eventually, the starter refused to turn over the engine at all. I had the copper contact in the starter replaced, and haven't had the problem since.

I put 30,000 kms on the car with the starter repaired like that, and another 13,000 kms on the 7M-GTE (Which I kept my NA starter for, since it was in known good condition.)

Yeah thats another option although it seems funny he has put in 3 different starters and all have had the same problem.