Temp and Tach guage quick working????

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
this morning did everything like normal, when out side turned the car on before leaving to warm it up. about 5-10 mins later i hop in and take off to work. on the way there (no spirited driving) the temp and tach guage just goes dead all of a sudden. cluster still lights up, oil press still works... WTF is going on?

any one have ideas what would cause both of the guages to die all randomly?

i have an extra cluster that i can quickly swap out but curious if anyone else has had a similar problem. i haven't had much time to trouble shoot since i was on my way to work and currently at work.

EDIT:

car details 89, 1jz, big single, 5 spd swap... ran perfectly since the swap was completed

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Are those the only two things on the entire cluster not working? There's nothing really in common between the water temp and tachometer looking at the diagrams. First thing I would do is make sure all the connections behind the cluster are clipped in all the way and tight.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Well I know that on a lot of engine swaps in the MK3 the ground wiring on the cluster harness (M1 harness i think its by the ECU harness) never gets grounded when the swap gets done. Maybe check the wiring on the gauge cluster harness.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
CyFi6;1798134 said:
Are those the only two things on the entire cluster not working? There's nothing really in common between the water temp and tachometer looking at the diagrams. First thing I would do is make sure all the connections behind the cluster are clipped in all the way and tight.

jmcboost;1798320 said:
Well I know that on a lot of engine swaps in the MK3 the ground wiring on the cluster harness (M1 harness i think its by the ECU harness) never gets grounded when the swap gets done. Maybe check the wiring on the gauge cluster harness.

so you guys are both right i knew its something small. haven't actually fixed yet as i haven't had time but as i turned it on yesterday after work to go home, the guages weren't working. after warming up a few minutes i hoped in and started driving and the guages all of a sudden came alive!!!

this morning the same thing happened while driving to work around the same spot the guages died. probably a bad ground somewhere. should be pretty easy to fix now. thanks guys