Tein Street Advance Coilovers, anyone tried them?

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
Has anyone tried the new tein street advance coilovers? How do they ride compared to stock, or lowering springs? Does the dampening adjustment seem effective? Do they go low enough for you? Maybe too low? Anyone with experience with these please voice your opinion.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
I have these on my car. I feel like they were overpriced when I purchased them (they were almost $1200. I think you can find them for half of that on eBay now).
The ride is okay. The dampening hasn't really been touched since they have been on the car so I can't really speak about making adjustments to them and how they feel. I felt that the ride felt way better with the TEINs than the H&R lowering springs I previously had on the car.

And the TEINS go REAL low when you set them to the lowest setting. I've bottomed out just getting in and out of my driveway!

Here are a few pictures of the car at a more reasonable, everyday driving height:

2l9pkqb.jpg

w9cp51.jpg

k2o5kk.jpg

These gif was made when the car was first at its lowest settings:

PDZOMy.gif

(fitting your fingers under these fenders was not possible!)

I might actually save up to buy coilovers from Parts Shop Max as I feel like these might provide a better ride:

http://www.partsshopmax.com/page.php?27

Last edited:

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Yes, with the factory top hats. They are pretty quiet and I feel like they are pretty smooth. Although, I recommend getting an opinion from another member as I don't have a lot of experience with different coilovers (These are my first set)

Suprajim54 is another member here who I have contacted about these coilovers after I saw that he was running the same ones. He was very helpful as well so he might be the guy to ask!

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I've been running them for about 9 months now. I like them but only have the stock shocks and springs to compare to. They settled about a half inch or so after the first month. I definitely had enough adjustment to have it slammed, but the roads around me aren't great. They have a lot of dips and bumps so I had to raise my car back up. I was getting some rubbing in the fronts (18x8 +45 235/45) rears were ok (18x9.5 +40 275/35) with no fender rolling. If I remember right, there are 16 damping adjustments and I had the front at 8 and the rear at 10. I first tried to adjust the damping, thinking that it was too soft. I changed the front to 12 and noticed a little difference, but not much and still had the rubbing. So, I raised the front about a half inch. I think the damping probably makes a difference, but only in small increments from one end of the scale to the other. If you're going low, you'll probably have to stiffen it up. On the bright side, if you wanted to go for a slightly lower than stock, you can adjust the perches pretty high and you might be able to use some of the softer settings on the coilovers. Luckily, adjusting the height is easy once you get the tire off.

Make sure you get an alignment afterward. I didn't and drove the car for about 6 months with the negative camber. I had worn the insides of the fronts pretty bad and had to replace them. I switched to a 245/40 in the front and got alignment done. Had a little more rubbing on hard bumps so I raised it another 1/4 inch and all is good. The larger tire made up for some of the stiffness/rattling on the old tires, too. It feels really stable at higher speeds and hard corners. I don't feel the body roll or dip when braking that I used to have.

I don't regret my purchase at all and did all the work myself. I got mine on ebay from this place http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEIN-STREET...?fits=Model:Supra&vxp=mtr&hash=item4addf65925. They took a couple weeks to get at the time, because of the port strike in Long Beach last year. I got new KYB mounts from Rock Auto when I installed the coilovers. For me, it was well worth the $800 spent.

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Street Advance replace the Super Street in their lineup. New ones have better damping adjustment (according to their website http://www.tein.com/products/street_advance.html). They also include dust boots. Not sure what else, but I don't know if you can even find the Super Street anymore. I believe you can also use the EDFC Controller with the Street Advance, which you could not do on the Super Street.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Do these have independent height and spring preload adjustment or is it combined?

Also how high do they go? I'd like to get a little lower than stock but not as low as I am now on these lowering springs. I feel like the car's not as stable as it should be because the front arms are angled up too far.