Targa Leaks

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
yeah those are the usual culprits... one of my friends is having issues with his, but he's also suspecting his driver's window isn't sealing up to the B-pillar well, anyone know how much of a pain it is to adjust that?

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Idealsupra said:
another idea that has tested positive for working is tightening it down in the correct order... IE the way toyota MEANT for it to be tightened down.

na, just throw it on however ;) ........who would have thought actually FOLLOWING directions would help the leaks

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
psifactor said:
na, just throw it on however ;) ........who would have thought actually FOLLOWING directions would help the leaks

not me :D

on a sidenote i almost lost my targa top about 15 minutes ago when i went out to get some food i had forgotten i just placed the top earlier... heh good thing for me i dont boost until the car is warmed up and when i got to where i was giong i heard it rattle and was like OH FUCK! hahaha

phew close call :D

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I got my Supra I didn't want a Targa but the price was so right I had to buy it!

I took it off once drove around the block then put it back on with silicone!

No leaks now and it doesn't need tightening from time to time like it used to.
(If I could find a nice hardtop shell I'd do the change)

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
WOW! IJ,
IMO, the best feature of the MKIII & the MKIV is the targa feature.
I would NEVER buy a hardtop on a sports car, and I live in a colder climate than you.
You could even take your top off year round too.
But I do respect the fact that we all like the Supe for different reasons :) (hardtops are more rigid indeed.

As far at the leak on mine that slightly drips very little & only once in a while, I was planning on just changing the rubber. Rubber does dry rot, I was thinking.

One thing a fellow owner told me was that you don't really need to tighten the rear screws everytime. It would be interesting to see if others do it that way too. Any comments on that anyone?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL Tony with our hole in the ozone layer you'd have to wear SPF 50+ a hat shirt and pants to drive around with the top off or buy season tickets to the hospital to have skin cancers removed!

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
thats one of the major reasons i gave up on targas, yeah their nice to have but i hate having to dry the car after it rained. i live about 20 mins from boston and having my old supra as my all around car it sucked when it rained. n.e. weather does serious damage with targa seals. have had to replace the seals about 1 year ago before it went down last year my supra started to leak. went out and got me a hardtop, have not leaked yet.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
IJ. said:
LOL Tony with our hole in the ozone layer you'd have to wear SPF 50+ a hat shirt and pants to drive around with the top off or buy season tickets to the hospital to have skin cancers removed!
OK already, you have a point lol
yes, I can agree with you: I did get a sunburn twice from driving with it off for extended periods. Once I got my sunburn driving to the beach (4 hour drive) & by the time I got there, I was already cooked.

But imagine this IJ;) you & this total doll that your just getting to know, cruising a beatiful beach road late at night, with the top off, & the ocean at your side, & her hair blowing in the wind, & the moon up above, and the stars, and all that good stuff.

Targa tops are just so sexy that way :D
yes, Tony is a pimp lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
streetknight: LOL You always have to remember to take a snorkle or scuba gear to the car wash!

TM: LMAO @ "The Pimp" !

That scenario is all well and good till the next day when we wake up and she looks in the mirror and her forehead is red raw from windburn and never speaks to me again! ;)

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I haven't had a targa leak on my current 89 or my 87 (r.i.p.), but if I ever use high-pressured water on my car it will seep into where the corner of the windows meets the side mirrors. It's only bad if you have pressure focused on that particular spot though.