Targa Blots item # Please

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
hi so my targa bolts have completely been stipped an di need replacements... :/ i have seem people on here that have purchased the bolts but couldnt find the product number so i could order them. Im interested in purchasing all four to avoid having to change them from time to time. Also, it seems like the bolts need to be soldered onto the targa, does anyone have a write-up on how to do this by any chance?!?! All i could find is the writeup on how to replace the plastic targa seals...

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
hvyman;1428255 said:
first targa seals are rubber not plastic.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=6104&P=3

save that website it got the repair manual/parts catalog/ and wiring diagrams.

i already seached this and went to toyota myself but they cant even seem to find the true part number( they thought they didnt sell them individually). i came to the conclusion that the part # was 63619A for the fronts and 90501-07056 for the rears. I just wanted to make sure before i ordered.

and by the way, rubber and plastic are essentially the same thing... From a chemical standpoint, rubber fulfills all the definitions of a plastic since they are now produced sythetically...

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If they're stripped, the targa isn't being installed correctly. Also, if the threads in the targa itself are stripped you have to either replace the targa or use some kind of thread repair (helicoil, time-sert, ect).

What's the extent of the damage?

EDIT: 63230-14010 for fronts 90110-08009 for rear. You may also want 90501-07056 (spring) and 90467-07057 (clip) for the backs.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
Poodles;1428273 said:
If they're stripped, the targa isn't being installed correctly. Also, if the threads in the targa itself are stripped you have to either replace the targa or use some kind of thread repair (helicoil, time-sert, ect).

What's the extent of the damage?

EDIT: 63230-14010 for fronts 90110-08009 for rear. You may also want 90501-07056 (spring) and 90467-07057 (clip) for the backs.

well poodles, i mean the bolts themselves aren't per say completely stripped, more like worn but still functional. The drivers side front bolt has actually desoldered itself so screwing the targa on does nothing because the bolt is moving around and is no longer attached. I was planing on purchasing the bolts because if they are the parts i think they are, they are cheap ($2.90) and would be a good investment. what i need to do is actually weld the bolt back on but don't know how to go about doing so. I would really like the new part numbers so i can change all of them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's all the part numbers ;) You'll need 2 of each.

The part in the targa... Sounds like you're kinda screwed. That part is welded in and you'd have to see if anyone's able to repair it without mangling the top. Might be easier to replace the targa in your case.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
Poodles;1428565 said:
That's all the part numbers ;) You'll need 2 of each.

The part in the targa... Sounds like you're kinda screwed. That part is welded in and you'd have to see if anyone's able to repair it without mangling the top. Might be easier to replace the targa in your case.

wow i didn tthink it was that big of a deal. Im gona go to my mechanic tomorrow and see if his welder can actually get the job done. Hopefully it turns outto be an easy fix in time for the winter. Thanks poodles :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind the passenger side insert is on a slide, do NOT weld it.

You're supposed to tighten the back bolts then the driver's side, then the passenger side. If you tighten the passenger side first you'll strip the driver's side (previous owner made this mistake on my car)

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
Poodles;1428816 said:
Keep in mind the passenger side insert is on a slide, do NOT weld it.

You're supposed to tighten the back bolts then the driver's side, then the passenger side. If you tighten the passenger side first you'll strip the driver's side (previous owner made this mistake on my car)

so poodles, just to make sure, is the drivers side front targa bolt originally welded on or not?!!? the guy at the toyota parts department said that's how it wa originally assembled but then again he didnt know you could order the targa bolt alone and suggested tht i buy the whole targa top :nono:

oh and about the targa installation procedure. yea this was my mistake. I did the same mistake that the previous owner of your supra made.... i guess i'm learning from my mistakes, the had way...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
This is a LHD supra, right? Just gonna make sure ;)

If so, then yes, the driver's side is held firm in the assembly through the sheetmetal around it and welding.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
Poodles;1428941 said:
This is a LHD supra, right? Just gonna make sure ;)

If so, then yes, the driver's side is held firm in the assembly through the sheetmetal around it and welding.

yup its an LHD (wish it was a RHD tho, would give others another reason to look at the car :naughty:) And thanks for the part #'s poodles, i ordered the pieces (2 of each) and it came to like $21. I should be receiving the pieces soon and hopefully get rid of my targa issue.