Tanabe Super hyper Medallion Fitment Issues??

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I purchased a Tanabe Hyper Medallion cat-back from another member on this forum and finally had a chance to install it over the weekend. Upon installation, I have a couple issues...

#1 The bend for the muffler pipe seems to rub / be VERY close to the subframe.

#3 The exhaust tip is recessed about an inch, possibly a bit more...

I'm running a ZW divorced downpipe and a Random Technologies 3" cat... I have been using the stock cat-back with this setup for quite a while with perfect fitment and the stock exhaust tip stuck out from behind the bumper a couple millimeters (enough to not blacken the bumper).

I've always heard that the Tanabes fit perfectly - has anyone else run into these (or similar) issues?? Understanding the ZW pipe may not be perfect, and also understanding that the R/T cat may be shorter than stock, it's still odd to me that the stock cat-back had perfect fitment...

I'm considering cutting the Tanabe in a couple places and TIG welding a stainless steel extensions into it, however I'd really rather not have to do that to a somewhat difficult to find exhaust like this...

Thanks for any help!

James

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'd have to find pics of when I installed mine.

For the bend, yeah, it's pretty close, but if you've got it on the hangers correctly, it really should be fine. I had a bit of a flat spot where some killer speed bumps in my old condo parking lot (Lots of SUVs were driving too fast in the parking lot, so the condo board decided that putting in speed bumps that nothing BUT an SUV could get over would be the solution) hit the pipe, but there was no evidence of rubbing on the subframe.

For the tip, I never assumed that it was supposed to protrude beyond the bumper cover, but it's pretty close. I don't get black on my bumper. Seems fine where it is to me.

I'm using the RT racing downpipe. No cat, nor is there room for one with this setup.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Are the hangers directly down, or are they pulling?

I seem to remember some JDM exhausts being an inch or 2 too short...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, easy test is simply unbolting the catback from the cat. If it moves back, there's your issue...

Also, any large diameter cataback will be really close to the rear subframe, it has to be to maximise ground clearance.