Tale of De-Ricing Tom's Civic.

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
Well...It was never really bad rice, but it was in that "piece of crap rice" kind of way.. I picked it up a couple years back, 1991 Civic LX with the crappy dual point 1.5 and 5 spd. It was maroon with peeling clear.

well....step one: Fix the clutch. While I had the motor out, I decided to get a DOHC ZC (1.6L, about 130hp 110tq). well, got it in...it ran, but not well, and would NOT idle below 3000 rpm....as in I started it, and it just went up there and stayed there. Took it to a shop, they did a leakdown test on it, and behold, cyl 3 and 4 were both fucked. I didn't feel like rebuilding it. I got a SOHC ZC and put it in.

Got tired of the paint peeling...and sanded it down to the metal, followed by black primer. I figured just the primer didn't make it rice. Well...then the muffler fell off. Holy rice, batman. I drove it that way for a while.

A few weeks ago I got a new stock exhaust for it....well, chalk that off the de-ricing list. I spent all week prepping the car for paint., while I waited for my cheap paint and supplies to show up. 10 minutes ago, I finished sanding it with 2000 grit. The paint came today. Got everything I needed for $90, a gallon of midnight blue acrylic enamel, quart of reducer, paint of hardener, and a gallon of clear. www.paintforcars.com is where I got it, we will see how it turns out.

I will be spraying it tonight, wish me luck. Just gotta finish putting the koni's and H&R's on my dad's 87T so I can clear out the garage and get the civic in. I have been prepping it in the 6 car shop, aka the Suprashed.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow!

-Tom