T-stat find

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
O.k. this story is about how someone did a half ass job or just didn't know what they were doing. Since i bought my mk3, i was curious about a few chunks of rubber dangling out of the thermostat housing. I thought maybe it's just a gasket sticking out. One time i came across a picture in a parts catalogue of thermostat housing. There were no gaskets in that place. So, i ordered a new t-stat. Today, finaly i had time to replace it. Once i opened the housing i found that it was sealed with thermal sealant(loctite and etc). There were chunks of it stuck in the t-stat itself. I even found a chunk in the radiator. Such things can plug the cooling system dead. I'm just wondering what did the man who did this was thinking. It just shows, that if you don't know how to do it, just leave it to someone who knows.

On the bright side, i had problems with the heater blowing cold or hot air not depending on the hot/cold switch. Now, that's sorted. Easy fix.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
There is supposed to be a rubber ring that goes on the edge of the thermostat.
No sealer required unless your housing is corroded so bad that the ring will not seal.
If that is the case, find another housing.

Toyota p/n 16341-35010
But Pep Boys & others carry a generic one.

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
My turbo car had the same shit done too it! My n/a someone got the proper parts but didn't realize the ring goes around the thermostat instead the installed the thermo then put the ring on top of it lol!