sweaver 88 black turbo

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
hi im steven from western new york. i bought an 88 turbo hardtop. came out of buffalo NY, brought it home second week in october plans were to have a 400-450hp weekend fun type car by spring. i have really liked the supra's since i was a teenager as a friend of my older brother had a supra turbo car back in high school. me being a rural farmer type like the idea of an inline six/turbo charged motor. they are like the tractors ive worked on for years. the car came with many modifications and thanks to this site mainly i've been sorting through the good, bad and the ugly of my supra. pics of when i brought her home. not a huge fan of ground effects/stickers but
Picture 001..jpg

engine bay lots of wires to clean up
Picture 005..jpgPicture 006..jpg

so i dove into reading on this forum and the many directions the information takes me. the first thing i did was to install a direct oil/feed pressure gauge with copper line as their was no oil pressure gauge working on the car when i got it. i placed the gauge where the cig lighter was as a hole was pre cut for the gauge and the gauge came with the car but was never installed. oil pressure looked good 20psi at idle and elevated with throttle to 60-70psi . the next step i took was to install an aem uego wideband o2 sensor i drilled out a hole in the 3" down pipe and welded in a bung and wired up gauge, it was fited above the radio. however i still couldn't get the car to run very well with the afc neo. the car has 720cc injectors and large precision BB turbo with fmic and hardpipes. but i wanted to focus on other aspects of the car and learning as much about it as a could. PO had deleted a/c, heater hoses to the heater core, egr, powersteering pump/res, oil cooler, fan/clutch and more im sure. I reinstalled the oil cooler with just a stock unit i picked up here.

build 004.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 002..jpg
    Picture 002..jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
next i removed the valve covers. the PO said that the head had an arp stud kit, it did. i set my torque wrench to 90lbs and not one of the nuts moved. he also stated that the car had larger cams and they do not look stock to me. valve buckets and shims are clean i will be checking the clearences. i also noticed that i could see the headgasket behind the exhaust manifold on the back corner where head meets block the gasket is definately at least 2mm and not oem. these are things that ive wanted to visualize for my piece of mind.

build 005.jpgbuild 001.jpgbuild 002.jpgbuild 006.jpg

the po must have liked the fipg the orange stuff is in every seam looks like it is on both sides of the exhaust manny gasket and was on every seam of the intake as well. i dont need to cake that stuff on when using new gaskets do i? except like on the valve cover front corners like the tsrm states. I then ran some coolant lines to the turbo. im not to fond of the color of the sillicone hose however its what a buddy that pulls his dodge uses. thats what i get in cow country. he says he runs 50-55psi boost so it should hold up to the heat i hope.

build 012.jpg

i did pick up some oem manifold heat shields and was thinking about modifying them to fit between my manifold and turbo. however the nuts on the exhaust manifold studs look really bad ive seen this before and they have challenge written all over them! and please if you see something that doesnt look right let me know. im not going for show winning looks under the hood yet just want to get reliable if i can and keep a roof over the family's head.

Last edited:

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
yes the body kit is well.... not um .... not my style. I do have a plan to take care of that. I saw a build thread of a fellow on SF that removed a kit and did a bunch of sanding and fab and painting so thats not for me however i do have a low budget plan pics to come soon. The turbo is a precision BB type, I need to put a micrometer on the intake/exhaust fins to find the trim it has an a/r .81 hotside housing. than got me wondering can i put the micrometer on the cams/lobs to find out what size they are? I would really like to know and if anyone can fill me in that would help. the car has never run right since i got it in october. i cannot get it to pull through the 3300-3500 rpm range without fuel cut on the afc neo. the car will rev sitting through to 5200-5500 no problem but i dont sit their and hold it to the wood either. so needless to say i havent really drove it much and started to find direction/information to get it right. I have a plan for this aswell. after much research i have a decent path set out before me.
so I am ditching this stuff

attachment.php
[/IMG]

and the afc neo going to be patching the hack job on the harness that was made to install the neo and adding these to delete the maf with

attachment.php
[/IMG]

well I lucked out after seaching for awhile and being turned down by the local DMS guys, to have found a tuner that is right up my alley http://www.baldturbofreak.com/

the guys name is rick (aka ricky bobby) he has tuned a few mk3s and mk4s and is fluent in many ems's. he is about 30 minutes from my house and has just completed a 650hp 7mgte build on 93 pump close to 800hp on corn whiskey (E85). Ive been talking to him on a local forum where he has his build threads..... he is a forced induction/EFI guru im very fortunate to have this guy so close.

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
well i've received a new ecu for my car and will be hooking up the gm 3bar map sensor and aem iat sensor. AEM 30-1110 plug and play picked up from a member here suprahooked thanks john.

attachment.php

attachment.php

i had it in the car and had the laptop communicating with it however i need to receive the intake manifold gasket to get the car back together. manifold was removed to upgrade fuel lines and the gasket was in about 10-12 pieces and i could see two spots 1-2mm thick where it was sucking air. prolly part of the reason why it was fuel cutting before. im going to run it a bit with the factory ecu to check for oil and coolant leaks from the new lines i've installed. it is nice i could jump the fuel pump and fix a leak in the DM 7m fuel dampner bypass hose have it good now. pics

attachment.php

i also removed the silicone hoses i put on to run coolent to the turbo and installed the braided stainless lines cause they were upfront and visable.

attachment.php

Last edited:

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
Ok now I really really have a problem or addiction if you will. saw this sitting about a block away from my house and the woman who lives there works with my wife so i had my wife ask and it turned to be the lady's son's and it belongs to me now :).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

its a 1986.5 7mge 5spd hardtop kid said it has a blown motor. on first inspection i did notice the #1 cylender plug wire was melted badly and he said it over heated. I was mainly looking for a parts car so im not complaining interior seats are hosed however their are lots of good parts. its missing alot of trim and such so hopefully i will use it as a parts car and not go out looking for a motor to stick in it.

Last edited:

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
ya it has some rust around the windshield. the body looks good, the underside not so good the interior is trashed. its gonna be a parts whore i guess, kind of a shame :3d_frown: more pics of 86.5 na

attachment.php

love the trailor hitch

attachment.php

Last edited: