Swapping in a later model ignition switch

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Has anyone suscessfully swapped in a later model toyota ing switch into their car? My key isnt in the greatest shape,I thought about getting a new one made but this because of the age of the key and the amount worn off over the years, I fear the ING switch wouldnt accept a new key.
Does this make sense?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Lock cylinder, lock cylinder set, ignition switch. These are all different parts.

86-89 Ignition Lock Cylinder: 69057-32121; $102.44
90-92 Ignition Lock Cylinder: 69057-14130; $101.55

These will come with new keys. If you want to keep using your original key, you'll need to get a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder to your original key. You'll probably want to get a new key cut to your original key code though, and not use your old worn out key. Your original key code is on the paperwork for the car, or alternatively stamped on the exterior of the RH door lock cylinder. You may be able to get the code from a Toyota dealer in your area, though the car may be too old. In Canada, we cannot get key codes for vehicles as old as the MK3.

Jeff

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
mattsplat72;1934328 said:
Has anyone suscessfully swapped in a later model toyota ing switch into their car? My key isnt in the greatest shape,I thought about getting a new one made but this because of the age of the key and the amount worn off over the years, I fear the ING switch wouldnt accept a new key.
Does this make sense?
You know for how cheap these keys are, (in canada its $8 for a new key) stop being cheap and spend a few dollers and buy a new key.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Hey Matt, as of five months ago Toyota of Escondido was able to cut me a new key from the VIN number for my 92 MKIII. You might check with the Burlington dealer up there to see if they can pull your code from your VIN. Maybe US dealers keep them longer than Canadan ones. Never hurts to check.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can go a little at a time. The switch is already worn so shouldnt hurt it just dont force the key.

My key is worn a super amount. I think its the original key. Still works perfect tho.

Jul 30, 2011
A-Town WA
Had this issue with my mx83 about a month ago, tried new key. No bueno, ordered a new lock an switch cuz the old one cracked just from taking the bolts out.