swapping an originaly automatic 7mgte and harness into a 5 speed shell. any issues?

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Hello everyone im new the the supra world and decided to take one on as my next project. maybe i missed another thread but couldn't find any info pertaining to this subject. i bought a 89 automatic turbo supra as a donor car for my 87 turbo that i bought with a bad rod knock. im planning on using the 5 speed ecu and the automatic wiring harness. does anyone know if theres any parts from the 5 speed engine im going to need to swap over to the 89 engine going in the car? also if im going to need to run the 5 speed wiring harness? any help would be great.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
oldmansupra;1618992 said:
You'll have to bypass the neutral start switch and custom wire the reverse lights.

The manual 5 speed loom has a loop in it (connects from the engine loom to the gearbox plug...well the one i have does anyway)
The manual loom should plug into the auto engine loom and give you reverse lights and disable neutral start (it does with the looms i have anyway) You'll want to find the GAY auto reverse beeper and unplug it. that thing drove me nuts for the whole 2 minuites it was installed

Beware, Looping the NSW will disable cruise control, I'll be hooking up a clutch switch instead of a loop back. Means foot on the clutch to start and foot on the clutch turns off cruise control like factory.

Last edited:

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Alright i figured out most of the issues. im gonna have to run the auto harness and ecu. no im trying to figure out how to bypass the neutral safty switch i found the 2 big round connectors im thinking its the b-w b-l wires in the 3 pronged connectors. this is the first auto transmission iv worked with so im a little confused about some of the connectors. iv tried looking over TSRM and have figure some out but could use a little help. hopefully some of these pics will help.

im not sure why there are 2 sets of the same wires but one with a black wire. i belive there reverse light but not sure? this is off my 5 speed harness.

p1619809_1.jpg

i belive these are the correct wires to connect to bypass the neutral safty. but again im not to great at reading wiring diagrams. especially when there hacked apart like on TSRM.

p1619809_2.jpg

these are all of the auto trans connectors coming out of the engine im swapping in. im not sure which one will be ok to be left unwired without throwing codes.

p1619809_3.jpg

again i tried to search for this info but couldn't find it. any helpful info would be great.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
If you've still got the neutral start switch, just leave it plugged in to those plugs and adjust it to the "park" position. Hide the switch and wiring away somewhere out of site and you're done. Shouldn't throw any codes and as far as the ecu is concerned the auto is still in place and in park for the start up. The downside is that pressing the clutch will NOT disable the cruise. You will have to do that with the brake or reach over and shut it off manually.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
i belive these are the correct wires to connect to bypass the neutral safty. but again im not to great at reading wiring diagrams. especially when there hacked apart like on TSRM.

p1620805_1.jpg

if you want to bypass the neutral start switch just plug the B-W and B-L together. That's all I did to convert an auto harness to work with my 5 speed. Also you'll need to connect the reverse lights. NOTE: I don't have cruise control.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
mnracer550;1620057 said:
great idea. the only downside is i just scrapped the rest up my parts car including the auto trans :nono:

I can send you my neutral start switch if you want it. I'm about to swap mine over to a five speed as well and I will be using a full stand alone and five speed harness. I won't be needing it. And I forgot but someone else said it; you will have to custom wire the reverse lights if you do it that way. Lemme know. we can swap info via pm.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
thanks for the option but i think iv got it all wired up and ready to go in. im feelin ambitious so i think im gonna pull an all nighter and get the engine in and hopefully be making boost by tomarrow!