SWAP HELP!!! 1989 auto to 5spd from a 1987

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
A few questions about this swap................
i have a 1987 5spd turbo. it has a bunch of electrical issues. so i was given a 1989 turbo auto shell.

1. Which sensors from the engine need to be swapped onto my 1987 engine so that everything works and plugs in correctly?

2. How do I bypass the neutral safety switch so that the car will start up with no issues?

3. How do I wire the reverse lights to the r154 so they actually work?

4. How do I wire up the speed sensor so the cruise control works?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
you using the 89 at harness? well for 2 and 3 it will be looking up the pinouts on the tsrm, and cutting the 2 wires for neutral start and joining them togther. same for the reverse lights, one wire is yellow (power in) and the other is red with black stripe (power out to lights) . though you may want to wire in a plug in so you can disconect it if you have to remove the tranny at a later time

if you look on the tsrm you can figure it out. and also by testing the wires with a volt meter to see what does what.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Ok, looking at the EWD for the 87, the Manual Dash Harness has TWO wires coming from the Starter Relay. One goes to the Manual Engine Harness for the Starter, the Second stays in the Dash Harness and goes to the Circuit Opening Relay. The Automatic Dash Harness only has ONE wire coming from the Starter Relay, it goes to the Auto Engine Harness for the Starter, and has a Second Wire in the Auto Engine Harness that goes back to the Dash Harness for the Circuit Opening Relay. So what I'm telling you is that the starter circuit will work when going from Auto to Manual because the Manual/ Auto safeties will not be present, but there will be no wiring for the Circuit Opening Relay so you will be dead in the water because the COR controls the Fuel Pump Control Relay, witch controls the Fuel Pump. Not to mention its going from 87 to 89, thats a whole different ball game.

The others are quite easy, the speed sensor for the cruise control is in the gauge cluster so as long as your speedo cable is hooked up and working it will function. The reverse lights are only two wires, look them up and match them up.

Although you didn't ask for my opinion I would like to give it to you, I would find your self a 89 Turbo Auto Engine harness, ECU, and other misc stuff and use that on the 87 7M with the R-154. Do a quick neutral start switch by pass, (check the TSRM for the 89/90 for correct pinouts) and go from there. You could allays pick up a EWD book for the 87 and try to trouble shoot the electrical problems, fix them, and then having a running car. But, like I said, this is just my opinion, any way you go about it, good luck!

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
the 1989 has a perfect condition gte auto engine harness and ecu in the car. the engine is in the car, but it's blown. So I'm putting my engine in, but at the same time, I'm doing a 5spd swap..................

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
If you have the complete engine harness from the 89 then you will just need to swap all sensors and the wiring harnesses onto the 87 engine. Look up the TSRM and find the correct pins to bypass the Neutral Start Switch, same thing for the reverse lights. Other than that it will work out for you quite well.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
MrTristoe;1728026 said:
you wont do it XD

already in motion bro lol

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Chambers;1728012 said:
If you have the complete engine harness from the 89 then you will just need to swap all sensors and the wiring harnesses onto the 87 engine. Look up the TSRM and find the correct pins to bypass the Neutral Start Switch, same thing for the reverse lights. Other than that it will work out for you quite well.

But which sensors? I know the ones from the thernostat housing have to be switched. What other sensors are different?

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
So I took out the engine harness from the 1989 supra. I only saw 2 sensors on the thermostat housing that seemed different from the pre-89 supras. Am I missing something?