surface rust on spare block

bdjames02

Oct 29, 2008
Southwest Ohio
I hope someone is able to give me good news....,

I have a spare 89 turbo block that I was going to give to a friend for his build project. After digging it out of storage, I noticed that it has some surface rust on the outside and some surface rust inside one of the piston cylinder. The block was machined bored and honed .30 over but was never used. I had it completely wrapped in plastic, but obviously this wasn't enough. Is there any way to clean it up without damaging the cylinder walls? Or am I screwed?
Thanks guys.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Needs a quick hone with a ball hone. Not a big deal. Then cover every bare metal surface with Tectyl if it will sit for a while.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
shipkiller;1747365 said:
pour a lot of oil everywhere for storage

When I had the head off in the car port, I coated the cylinder walls/deck/etc with a thin film of oil and then draped oil soaked rags over it just to be safe.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
a little surface rust is no biggy
a simple hone job like typhoon said will clean it up

my 452 stroker mopar motor i had honed 4 years ago
i spray wd40 on it once a year and it hasnt rusted
walls look the same as when i first had it done

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

or if you dont want to lug it to a machine shop to have it honed
then you can used a scoth brite pad and some ATF
we did this on my friend bare block and it worked wonders

i wouldnt recommend using sand paper though

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
bdjames02;1747011 said:
I hope someone is able to give me good news....,

I have a spare 89 turbo block that I was going to give to a friend for his build project. After digging it out of storage, I noticed that it has some surface rust on the outside and some surface rust inside one of the piston cylinder. The block was machined bored and honed .30 over but was never used. I had it completely wrapped in plastic, but obviously this wasn't enough. Is there any way to clean it up without damaging the cylinder walls? Or am I screwed?
Thanks guys.

Define "surface rust" Just some orange color, or can you feel it as a raise surface in the cylinder wall? If it was mine, I would have a qualified machinist re-hone the cylinders to match your friends new pistons correct piston to wall clearance. This because you cannot finish size a block without the pistons in hand anyway. The rings used on nearly all aftermarket pistons for our cars require a specific cross hatch, RA value, and a plateau finishing brush after the hone. Soooo, a ball brush, scotch brite, ect. ect. will not do.