Supra's transplant

boostindoo

Jul 18, 2006
raleigh
the gte motors dont have the deflicted ass manifold on them and takes 6 minutes to do sparkies....i was on a 7m na not driving hard and all the maintenance done and it blew a head gasket only 97k miles, so i went 1j and have never had any mechanical problems........yet, knock on wood...

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
boostindoo;1413272 said:
the gte motors dont have the deflicted ass manifold on them and takes 6 minutes to do sparkies....i was on a 7m na not driving hard and all the maintenance done and it blew a head gasket only 97k miles, so i went 1j and have never had any mechanical problems........yet, knock on wood...
Im still thinking about the 2jzna-t we were talking about

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I swapped a 1JZ, never drove it with the 7m It would not start never tried to fix it.

tissimo's right the 2.5l 1j lacks balls down low. Being so little makes it more difficult to size an upgraded turbo to as well. But we 1j-ers still have options. I for one think using a 2jz block would be a cost effective way to remedy most of the 1jz problems.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
As a counterpoint, I don't really see the 1J as being all that anemic down low. I have a stock motor, single 1JZ and it's really not that bad.

I don't really have a problem cruising around town, the motor is very smooth and it has the power to keep up with traffic easily off boost. If you let the car lag down to below 2kish RPM in traffic then you can really see it's lack of torque, but I cant imagine it would be that much different in a 2J or 7M car. The Supra is just damn heavy.

And then when I want to go fast, all I have to do is downshift to get the revs around 3-4k. That's what an I-6 turbo motor is all about. If everyone were that concerned about low end torque from a drivability standpoint, we'd all be swapping a 440 with a six-pack into our cars.

I do understand the draw of the 2J torque though. An earlier spool and extra torque never hurt anyone.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Here are some tips
If you are going for 400whp, keep the 7m and put a 57 trim on it.
I would never do another 1jz swap into a supra, 2jz or possibly a 1uz, but if you do decide to do a 1jz swap, put the single on it when it is out of the car.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Regular 1jz sucks balls on torque and response in lower rpm. the vvti 1jz is a different engine altogether when it comes to torque and drivabilty.
I owned both and cant believe people still put regular 1js in their cars.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
Pernilongo;1414162 said:
Regular 1jz sucks balls on torque and response in lower rpm. the vvti 1jz is a different engine altogether when it comes to torque and drivabilty.
I owned both and cant believe people still put regular 1js in their cars.

because no one told me about the lack of low end torque:3d_frown:

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I went 1J and im still very happy with my choice. Main reason for this was becasue I was able to purchase a JZA70 complete car with a dissmantle status on the title. I did the spent the extra on the single swap when the motor was out of the car. That sure made things easy.

I never had much luck with anyone of my 7M-GE's or eiter one of my 7M-GTE's. Granted I probably didnt give them the love and attention they needed. Always on a budget build. Thats where the JZ decision came from on my part.

I love the way it drives, even with solid motor mounts the motor is smooth right to red line. Ive kept up with a few bikes through corners (600's maybe 750's, not to sure) and ive walked on a few 500's too. Ive taken people for rides who told me "imports are slow" and brought them back with a differant tune. One of my friends I took for a ride said just that, and now he'll make a great effort just to ride with me. Definatly a little lacking in the low end torque department, but its already been said, were not talking about big blocks or stroker small blocks here. Just make sure you keep an eye on your oil levels, and you should have many years of boosting ahead of you

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
i dont kno mike i rode in a singled 1jz and it ran so smooth..
i dont want to keep dumping money into it and just cross my fingers and hope that i dont get rod knock or a BHG.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
True, well if you build it right you should be fine.. It's all in the tune and having your motor prepped correctly.. Personally I'd go 2j at this point

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Decisions decisions i feel confident in swapping one day then the next im not. cant decide to throw more in the 7m and just make it better or just swap it

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
staticpage;1413558 said:
I swapped a 1JZ, never drove it with the 7m It would not start never tried to fix it.

tissimo's right the 2.5l 1j lacks balls down low. Being so little makes it more difficult to size an upgraded turbo to as well. But we 1j-ers still have options. I for one think using a 2jz block would be a cost effective way to remedy most of the 1jz problems.

Number wise it may not be as great as the 7M or 2J mod for mod. But when i raced a 7M from a dig mod for mod my 1J had enuff tq to spin my 275's thru 1st and most of 2nd while beating my friends supra with a 7M with BPU.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
OneJArpus;1418417 said:
Number wise it may not be as great as the 7M or 2J mod for mod. But when i raced a 7M from a dig mod for mod my 1J had enuff tq to spin my 275's thru 1st and most of 2nd while beating my friends supra with a 7M with BPU.

Stock 1j's have more factory rated tq than horsepower. 315tq and 280hp

boostindoo

Jul 18, 2006
raleigh
i was a cockhair faster than a mustang cobra supercharged, 1jz single 550cc injectors stinger pump gas and 18psi also crappy turbo, wootwoot!! shoulda seen the look on his face!!