supra wont start need help!

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
hi guys im nick i have a 1988 toyota supra turbo, ever since i got this car i have had a problem with it. its like the car has a mind of its own some days it will start first try sometimes it wont start at all. i could never figure it out. sometimes if i hit a little bump in the road the car will shut off and just crank and crank then finally after a couple minutes it will start right up and go like nothing happened. then one day i lost almost all my boost. im running a completely stock setup no mods at all running 6psi now it runs about 3psi max. thinking i have a boost leak took some piping off and see i have oil in my piping so my turbo must be blown. then one day when i was going to the gas station the car just sputtered really bad and died now it wont start. likes like i lost all my power the car ran sluggish. now the car starts sometimes not alot but when it does seems like its fine then once i hit the throttle it instantly bogs down like its going to die then it will die then i cant start it for the rest of the day.. the car wont start anymore it will turn over all day sometimes if im lucky it will act like it going to start actually run for like 5secs but really crappy.. i have check the fuel pressure have 38psi to the rail. checked for spark have that. the only thing i think is compression but i just dont understand why that would be bad out of nowhere. tell me why when i go to start the car sometimes the tach will jump up and down like normal then sometimes it wont move at all. thats how i usually can tell if the car is going to come close to starting if the tach is not moving or if it is.. please supramania help me out!! i love this car and dont want to give up on it but im stumped!

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
i did that wiggled the wiring when running and even when cranking over and no difference. would the cps control the tach from moving when cranking the motor over?

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
The cps can keep your car from doing a lot of things. Do any of the connections look brittle or worn? Be sure that the wire is secured in the clips well.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Well I double checked everything and the cps is hardwired. Going to solder the connection and shrink wrap them. I have some random wires I'm going to take some pictures and post on here. Next I'm going to check the timing

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
So I have spark and I have fuel. Next thing I'm thinking is timing? I just don't understand how it could be messed up out of nowhere. Well my tps is missing the bottom mounting bolt and really lose could that be a part of it? Is there anything else I should look at? Last time I had it started but when I hit the gas it tries to die then if I wide open throttle it will die. Was thinking I had a boost leak but I checked the piping for loose connections and everything seems fine. I'm stumped.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
no codes at all.. i am thinking afm too. i just bought some platinum plugs going to put them in and see if it helps.. my plugs got to be so fouled out from the gas.. about to change those.

edit: pulled plugs they were fouled from fuel and had yellow ring around the middle. well when i had to move the coil pack i forgot the firing order and when i look it up im just confused on the engine order i know the coilpack order but the engine order i find two different answers 1-5-3-6-2-4.... or 1-2-3-4-5-6. what is it?!??! i been looking it up for a half hour and i find different answers so i want a straight forward answer.. even the web designer jeff responded to someones question about the firing order and he said 1-5-3-6-2-4. someone help me out please!!!!

Last edited:

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
So I think I found what could possibly be my problem.. took the timing cover off and well my can gear was loose and is all oblong shaped now cause its been smacking a bolt causing it leave metal shavings everywhere so I might of jumped timing. I'm getting a new gear from a local and going to redo the timing. So hopefully this will fix my problem. I'm hoping that my camshaft has been damaged or any valves been bent..

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
I hope I don't. But I might as well take the valve cover off and check it just in case. I'm getting the new gear soon I'm going to see if it stops the wobbly rotation but if not then my cam must be bad.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Fixed my problem cam gear must of been so messed up it skipped timing now I got the new one on it and it fired right up runs so much better. It's like a whole new car. Thanks for all your help guys!