Supra mk3 steering rack options info

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
first to start i have been looking for ways to get more angle out of my 1991 supra 2jzgte swap to drift and DD since i know mk3's dont have the best turning radius. i have some info on the supra mk3 racks. apparently from 87 to 91 the racks got a little more steering travel and i was looking into also possibly swaping a 1998 sc300 steering rack into my mk3 for more angle but then i came across this info on my autozonepro webpage that has specs to these racks and decided otherwise. here are the pics.

1987 supra autozone part#8560

1991 supra WITHOUT variable effort steering autozone part#8573

1991 supra with variable effort steering autozone part#8575

1998 sc300 autozone part#8592

now at the bottom it says "total turns lock to lock" and for all the racks its different with the 87supra being the shortest at 2.75, sc300 at 3 and 91 supra with VES at 3.25 in the middle, and 91 supra WITHOUT VES being the longest with 3.5. so what im guessing is the 91 supra without VES has the most rack travel but the reason sc300 get more steering angle is because of their knuckle design arm being shorter( have not compared them side by side just making assumption). people do say to mod the mk3 knuckles to make them shorter, this would work and give you more angle but i would rather be safe when riding down the highway and not worry about my knuckles snapping (not hating on the mod people have done this with success and have not heard or seen a mod knuckle snap yet). i personally plan on going with the 1991 supra without VES rack and working from there. so any input or other info would be helpful. this is just an insight for people who were thinking of going with different racks to get more angle or other options for more angle.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Total turns lock to lock does not translate to how much steering travel the rack has. It just means the pinion in the rack is smaller if there are more turns. You'd need to actually measure the rack travel to know. What's more important though is the distance between the inner tie rod pivots, because if it's not the exact same distance as the stock rack the steering geometry will be screwed up and the car will have problems with bumpsteer.

I've been through this before, and the rack that comes closes to working is a 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra rack with a MM motorsports tie rod kit, but it requires some subframe fabrication and inner tie rod spacers to correct the geometry.

Although 90% of the mods drifters do to get more angle screw the steering geometry up and make the car handle like shit anyway, so you might not care about any of that.