Supra making new shuttering whistle-y noise under boost - NEW VIDEO Aug 13 !!

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
The basics are that the engine still idles very smoothly, sounds smooth when revved, and the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge give totally normal readings. I checked all the hoses and brackets and belts. Everything looks fine so I am a bit puzzled. I am gonna take it in to my mechanic of course, but I wanted to ask you all here first to see if any of you might know what it could be.

Lemme know what you guys think, if anything.

Thanks,
Vega

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Id check the shaft play. Could be very early signs of death whine. Hard to tell from that video since its so short tho.

Check your codes as well. If 34 shows up means you have a boost leak. But usually when you have a boost leak you hit fc non stop and thats when you get 34.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Not able to watch the vid as I'm at work but yes, it could very well be the exhaust manifold. Common weak point for 7Ms.

And to check codes: TSRM
Keep that link handy. It has both the repair manual AND the electronic parts catalog.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
If it turns out to be the turbo, what would you all recommend I do? If I bought a 57trim, can I do a direct drop in replacement or does the new specs alone of the 57 require fuel upgrades and other considerations? I ask about the 57 because I certainly don't want to spend my money on a stock turbo. What a waste. I'd rather garage the Supra until I'm ready to drop serious money into it before spending gobs of money of repairs to bring it back to stock.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
VegaSupra

Last edited: