supra gtr?

suprashane

Aug 14, 2011
Colorado
ok, i had a dumb idea of thinking it would be cool to make my supra awd. ive never seen it done beofre and wanted to do it, so ive been looking online to find a awd transmission for the 2jz motor.after a few days of googleing i thought of putting a rb12dett engine and tranny in my car and making mounts and axels and drive shaft. i can get one on ebay (rb26) for around the same price as a 2jzgte. just wanna know your thoughts on this.

jfreeman

3.0 7MGE
Sep 29, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
a lot of fabrication involved, best bet would be to get the awd parts from an older subaru or a gsx. Either way though for the amount of work, fabrication, and money involved you could just buy a mkiv or a new school subi or evo

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I dont see you getting your money out of it or even having that much fun with it. Seems like a waste of money, but at the same time, you would be one of a kind.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
supra
[video=youtube;ei7a8GBT4Xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7a8GBT4Xk&list=UU4E7gnjAfUzk-ySrQVnvFGg&index=37&feature=plcp[/video]
soarer
[video=youtube;DUyfd1Iv-8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUyfd1Iv-8A&list=UU4E7gnjAfUzk-ySrQVnvFGg&index=10&feature=plcp[/video]
[video=youtube;hmmLNlrufKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmmLNlrufKM&list=UU4E7gnjAfUzk-ySrQVnvFGg&index=23&feature=plcp[/video]

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yup, I remember seeing that a while ago, those guys had to do some serious modifications to the subframe to sit that front differential and half shafts up front, I think the thread was on supraforums. I don't think it would be feasible in a MKIII chassis unless you have some serious fab skills.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chambers;1787306 said:
I don't think it would be feasible in a RWD-only designed chassis unless you have some serious fab skills.
Fixed that for ya. If you feel up to the task of doing a LOT of cutting, welding, measuring, (in the proper order, hopefully), I would pass on this idea. While it would be cool in the end, you gotta be honest with yourself and reflect on your abilities and current skill set/tool collection. Is it feasible? Are you a fast learner AND an experienced fabricator?

Anything can fit and be done with a big enough hammer and enough thought, time, and money, but for my time and money, I would just buy an ST165. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
kneedragger85;1787392 said:
There's tons of obvious reasons why a ST165 is more rare just about anywhere you live.
Such as? If memory serves, they made a lot more Mk4's, and only gave us 87 and 88 model years for the ST165 here in the US. I've come across a few of them on Craigslist, nearly bought one last year if but for not having the space for it... just needed a bit of freshening up too. What about the ST185, they seem even more rare, or at the very least, a lot more expensive.

Marotta1;1789177 said:
What tranny did they use in the cars in those videos? I'ver never seen that before? Very interesting, fast, and cool!
I believe the Russian car was using some sort of transmission/transfer case from a Landcruiser, but you know I don't speak Spanish. :p