Supra Differentials

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Supposing that you have a differential, No car, Just a differential. You know its a Toyota Supra MKIII differential, But not a clue its LSD or Non-Locking or what Ratio whether 3.73,3.90,4.XX. There is not badges or engravings. How do you figure out whether this differential is LSD or Non-Locking AND AND.. most importantly what the ratio of that differential is? thanks Help.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
only one way to do it if there is no information for it.

Open the diff and count the teeth on the pinion and ring divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth to get the ratio. Also note the center section. Non-lsd should be almost empty and LSD should be really really cluttered.

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Thanks a million. Is there any damage that I could do to the differential by opening it? I'll try posing pictures for future persons searching this same exact thing.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
charddy;1074421 said:
Thanks a million. Is there any damage that I could do to the differential by opening it? I'll try posing pictures for future persons searching this same exact thing.

No damage

Just remember to fill it up with diff oil after you install it again :)

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Also.. was wondering, did all turbo charged MKIII supra's come with a LSD diff? If yes that would mean there was different ratio LSD diff's and not all LSD's would be 3.73? Seeing besiding the R154, the 1G-GTE had a W58, and the automatics is a different gear box. Would there be different Ratio LSD's out there?

"mark the axel shafts... mark the pinun... count how many times it takes to turn the pinun to make the axel turn 1 full turn...that will tell you ratio..."

How would I calculate that to come to a figure like 3.73 or 3.90 etc?

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
charddy;1074594 said:
Also.. was wondering, did all turbo charged MKIII supra's come with a LSD diff? If yes that would mean there was different ratio LSD diff's and not all LSD's would be 3.73? Seeing besiding the R154, the 1G-GTE had a W58, and the automatics is a different gear box. Would there be different Ratio LSD's out there?

"mark the axel shafts... mark the pinun... count how many times it takes to turn the pinun to make the axel turn 1 full turn...that will tell you ratio..."

How would I calculate that to come to a figure like 3.73 or 3.90 etc?

if it takes the the pinun 3 and ruffly 3/4 turn to 1 full turn... then that would be 3.73..... if it takes almost 4 turns but not quite just a tad away... then that would be 3.9 if it takes just a tad over 4 turns then that would be 4.10 and so on and so on...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
figgie;1074492 said:
No damage

Just remember to fill it up with diff oil after you install it again :)

Are there any seals that need to be replaced?

I ask because I think my diff may be leaking and I want to drop it down tomorrow.

Things are getting hectic, but if I get the time I'll FINALLY be getting to replace my e-brake cable, and while Im under I want to take down the diff. and check it out. I don't really want to if there is a seal unless I get one first. Anyways, thanks in advance, I'm just not sure about it.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
I believe there is a gasket for it yes, but don't quote me. As for LSD they should be marked with an LSD ONLY label to let you know what kind of gear oil to use.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
If you take the cover off their is a stamp on the ring gear it will say 3.9 etc.. lets you know the ratio.

you could use the turn methode to calculate like mentioned before.

how to tell LSD from non lsd grab the half shaft outputs from the pumpkin if you hold one still using a long wrench to lock it down with the studs and turn the other one both will try to spin it takes about 80#s of force to split the two so they unlock.

If they unlock with no force its just an open diff.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1075082 said:
If you take the cover off their is a stamp on the ring gear it will say 3.9 etc.. lets you know the ratio.

how to tell LSD from non lsd grab the half shaft outputs from the pumpkin if you hold one still using a long wrench to lock it down with the studs and turn the other one both will try to spin it takes about 80#s of force to split the two so they unlock.

Thanks for that info.

willfish;1075010 said:
pix ?

Will

Are you asking me? If so I'll post some up soon.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Here are the pics. The pics show the back is wet, and front is dry. Which led me to think it's leaking. My driveway is a little wet and although I can't tell what type of fluid is, it's right under the diff. And I know the fluid isn't gas.

And then of course, there's the humming when the car is driven :icon_razz. I don't drive it since I noticed the leak because I don't know how long it has been leaking or how much is left in there.

2dqlpmu.jpg

30cal1k.jpg

erdjjd.jpg

I was supposed to go and stay at my cousin's this weekend (go offroading :icon_bigg) but I might stay home and drop the diff. and check it out which will give me easy access the e-brake cable same time :)

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Ok...... Facts and Nonfactual. I pulled out my Diff.. And here are the results.. The counting the pinion and ring gear. Fact. Counting the number of turns on the pinion for the complete turn of the ring gear FACT!.. Good stuff.

The ratio being engraved on the ring gear.. not to sure bout that. Well on my differential there isnt any conventional 3.73 or 3.90.. I see "2 - 1" on the back plate of the diff by the oil plug and on the ring gear there is engraved a 2. hmm

Other diff's I see is 1 - 1.. what does this really stand for?

Attachments

• GEDC0984.jpg
    GEDC0984.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 43
  • GEDC0983.JPG
    GEDC0983.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 16

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1075082 said:

WTF,,

and why didnt IJ tell me this when I had my cover off so I would know what gear ratio mine was ....

Dam than smart Man to hell....

Will